Severe weather pipes?

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
billiard

Severe weather pipes?

Post by billiard »

Have any of you pipe makers spent time thinking\working on briar pipes for the cold/snow/icy weather?

I ask earnestly, not trying to be "that guy", just asking to learn what others who came before me may already know about this subject.

Very cold, Freezing rain, snowing, icy, snow snow snow, playing in the snow, working in the snow, hiking up a mountain in the snow for late elk, etc, is very rough on pipes.

In my personal experience a skinny stack with an open airway smokes best in cold inclement weather. Perhaps that is due to my smoking cadence/packing/etc, but since I currently only make pipes for myself I am the only one I need to worry about :) IMHO the more gnarly the rustification for this type of pipe the better because you have a better chance of holding on to it.

Here is my attempt at making something quickly and cost effectively for a severe weather pipe. about $13 and 2 hours time invested so if it doesn't make it to spring I will not feel bad.

This has a 2" chamber depth by 3/4" and is drilled 11/32 with stem opened to match. As you can see I got more than carried away with my rustifcation but perhaps I can hold on to it when I take my son sledding tomorrow.

(PS: yes, I splashed stain in the bowl)
(PPS: I thought the rustification up the stem was a good idea at the time :mrgreen: )
Tyler
Site Supporter

Re: Severe weather pipes?

Post by Tyler »

If you're worried about being "that guy" as you post, you're not him. :)

Living in West Texas I need a snow pipe about 1 day a year, so I haven't thought about it. Interesting question though.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Very cold stem - greater condensation of warm moist smoke, so a system type pipe isn't out of the question and larger airways than usual are also a good idea as anti-gurgle insurance.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
BriarWorldNick

Post by BriarWorldNick »

I think the rustication up the stem gives it a very nice Russian winter feel.

Part of the fun in all of this is experiencing the world through other peoples eyes.
There is nothing like being left alone again, to walk peacefully with oneself in the woods. To boil one's coffee and fill one's pipe, and to think idly and slowly as one does it.

~ Knut Hamsun
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

I read your post yesterday, and, at first, I thought it was a kind-of weird idea...Severe Weather Pipes? ... But then I thought about it, and I changed my mind. Yea.

Coincidentally I was at the Dunhill Pipes website, trying to figure out their pipe sizing standard, and I noticed in their history, "... in 1905, Alfred (Dunhill) patented the Windshield Pipe, which was designed to provide a pleasant pipe smoke while driving in an automobile..."

That Guy. :lol:
Tyler wrote:If you're worried about being "that guy" as you post, you're not him. :)
And yea, you really shouldn't worry about asking a questions. Me and "That Guy" just have a knack for pushing the crazy buttons, but don't worry about it. As long as I'm here, I'll keep them way too busy to mess with you.
M.M.
billiard

Post by billiard »

Thanks for the feedback gents, it is appreciated.

While a system will smoke well in the very cold, to me, once it gets down to say 10 degrees F, and lower, smoke becomes less flavorful and I am usually found smoking a heavier Balkan just to taste it. I have a bunch of Wellington's (Pete clones) that came along for the ride on estate purchases that I have tried in cold/knock around conditions and it is just in my personal opinion that the systems take away a little more of the bits of remaining flavor.

Thanks,
Bill

PS - My apologies if the line on not being "that guy" was out of place, I was just trying to position my question correctly. I'm smoking my morning pipe as I type: a color changing cob that is glowing a very nice blue with Carter Hall in it. I am not the one Tyler warned about but I am an asshole of my own merits ;)
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

I think Tyler was talking about a type, not a specific person, although, he may have had a couple of specific people in mind. I, for one, am not worried about it, or anything, for that matter, but you are way not, "That Guy."
flix

Post by flix »

Looks like a winner, Bill. At least for the record winter we're expecting here in Spokane.

One suggestion is to put on a couple thin coats of shellac, to protect it from snow and the inevitable drops.

--a
billiard

Post by billiard »

flix wrote:Looks like a winner, Bill. At least for the record winter we're expecting here in Spokane.

One suggestion is to put on a couple thin coats of shellac, to protect it from snow and the inevitable drops.

--a
Thanks much. I did a bunch of Renaissance wax over Fiebings (via shoe brush) on this one already but as I finally got around to figuring out how to use my wood lathe I am going to try turning a few stummels soon and might try that for one more outdoor winter pipe to get through what we are forecast.

Thanks again,
Bill
Bosaiya

Post by Bosaiya »

I have been working on some severe-weather pipes lately. A recent experience involving a weekend in a semi-frozen swamp and an ensuing case of trench foot gave me a lot to think about. Smoking is normally the last thing I want to do in those situations, but there is plenty of time to think and the mind turns ever towards the present circumstances.

In the past I have simply used whatever small pipe I could fit in my pack and that worked well - you don't really need anything special, even in a downpour. That being said I'm looking at ways to keep water out while still allowing for combustion. Some of my cracked pipes have given me food for thought.
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

I would normally be in a similar boat to Tyler with needing a severe weather pipe maybe 1 day a year.
But, we got hammered with snow and ice 2 weeks back so I briefly felt your pain. Albeit, I have no expert advice, what worked for me was simple.
I took a cracked up Canadian that my dog destroyed the shank on, cut it roughly 7/8" long, cut a pre-molded PIMO fancy stem through the center of the ball, and epoxied the two together because my shank cracked frther and refused to hold a tenon.
Much to my suprise, it was still smoking fairly well after hours out while snowing. Granted, it was caked in salt (work) but I've actually kept the monstrosity for a knock about pipe.
My thinking was "shorter pipe, no frozen nose," pretty simplistic, but effective :) hope that may help
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
Bosaiya

Post by Bosaiya »

A few weeks later and in the same area as before the weather was beautiful: clear skies and warm breezes. There had been some recent flooding in the area but it wasn't raining when I was there. It was another learning experience, though, as I hadn't realized swamps were possible on vertical hillsides. Live and learn.

Based on last time I had anticipated needing a severe-weather pipe to fend off the bitter cold where gloves just make things worse. In the end I had a wonderful smoke-encircled stroll through the orange light of morning magic hour filtering through the mossy trees. as I said good morning to the people I met it occurred to me that no one pipe is ideal for all situations and probably the best thing to do is to bring several - just in case.
BriarWorldNick

Post by BriarWorldNick »

Bosaiya wrote:A few weeks later and in the same area as before the weather was beautiful: clear skies and warm breezes. There had been some recent flooding in the area but it wasn't raining when I was there. It was another learning experience, though, as I hadn't realized swamps were possible on vertical hillsides. Live and learn.

Based on last time I had anticipated needing a severe-weather pipe to fend off the bitter cold where gloves just make things worse. In the end I had a wonderful smoke-encircled stroll through the orange light of morning magic hour filtering through the mossy trees. as I said good morning to the people I met it occurred to me that no one pipe is ideal for all situations and probably the best thing to do is to bring several - just in case.

Hahaha, I like your style.

I really enjoy when I have an extra pipe on me and someone accepts my offer to let them smoke it. It's nice to meet people willing to try new things but also enjoy a pipe I made as we stare out into the wilderness.
There is nothing like being left alone again, to walk peacefully with oneself in the woods. To boil one's coffee and fill one's pipe, and to think idly and slowly as one does it.

~ Knut Hamsun
Bosaiya

Post by Bosaiya »

BriarWorldNick wrote:It's nice to meet people willing to try new things but also enjoy a pipe I made as we stare out into the wilderness.
Staring out into nothingness is something of a hobby of mine, I practice every chance I get. Now if only I could make a living doing it. Sadly I'm just too short to model.

I've never had anyone request a smoke, then again I almost never ask. That being said I have always gotten favorable comments when I am smoking so maybe it's best I let sleeping dogs lie (not that I've known them to tell the truth any less than wakeful dogs).