Pointed Cutty "MacReedy"

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
maxmil

Pointed Cutty "MacReedy"

Post by maxmil »

Today I dedicate to John MacReedy pipe, which is the character played by Spencer Tracy in the magnificent film "Bad Day at Black Rock", 1955.
Best regards.
Félix

Hoy le dedico la pipa a John MacReedy, que es el personaje que interpreta Spencer Tracy en la magnífica película "Conspiración de silencio", del año 1955.
Saludos.
Félix

Last edited by maxmil on Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wisemanpipes

Re: Pointed Cuty "MacReedy"

Post by wisemanpipes »

Great shape felix. I would not have bent the stem however. a traditional cutty only has a canted bowl with no bend.
maxmil

Re: Pointed Cuty "MacReedy"

Post by maxmil »

Thanks.
wisemanpipes wrote:Great shape felix. I would not have bent the stem however. a traditional cutty only has a canted bowl with no bend.
LatakiaLover

Re: Pointed Cutty "MacReedy"

Post by LatakiaLover »

Look at the bottom two pics (the profile ones)... see how the "gleam line" rises and falls?

Very tricky to eliminate, but worth learning how to do if you want to take your work to the next level.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

LatakiaLover wrote:Look at the bottom two pics (the profile ones)... see how the "gleam line" rises and falls?

Very tricky to eliminate, but worth learning how to do if you want to take your work to the next level.
Reflections tell a lot about a shape. Good thing to remember, thanks George!
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

The problems you point are lighting, the photographs and realize I do not worry too much about that aspect.
Best regards.
Félix

Los problemas que apuntas son por la iluminación; las fotografías las realizo yo y no me preocupo demasiado de dicho aspecto.
Saludos.
Félix

LatakiaLover wrote:Look at the bottom two pics (the profile ones)... see how the "gleam line" rises and falls?

Thomas Tkach

Post by Thomas Tkach »

I think he means the line on the stem. It is wavy because the shaping is not quite perfect.

I also noticed the bowl doesn't seem symmetrical front to back. Should it be symmetrical on a cutty?
Attachments
CUTYCS8_zps0c9b12e0.jpg
CUTYCS8_zps0c9b12e0.jpg (42.47 KiB) Viewed 15234 times
On land, at sea, at home, abroad,
I smoke my pipe and worship God.

http://tatmakesthings.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1?feature=mhee
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

I had in mind which is the source du Clay Pipe.

As for the other issue, is absolutely priceless sight, and pipe it is made ​​entirely by hand.
Best regards.
Félix
Thomas Tkach wrote:I think he means the line on the stem. It is wavy because the shaping is not quite perfect.

I also noticed the bowl doesn't seem symmetrical front to back. Should it be symmetrical on a cutty?
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Reflections exaggerate imperfections impossible to see at a glance.
Some examples of reflections on faces pipes, defects that appear but are not.

Los reflejos exageran imperfeciones imposibles de apreciar a simple vista.
Algunos ejemplos de reflejos en pipas caras, que aparentan defctos pero que no lo son.

yachtexplorer

Post by yachtexplorer »

Felix, It is good to encounter you here.

I like the bend in the stem. Your shapes are creative and original. Keep them that way. Don't get trapped in the "tradition" of any one country's notion of what is a proper pipe. You have the right idea. Put your own name on it and make it the way you want.

If someone else tries to insist that if a pipe has a particular word in the name it therefor must conform to a rigid set of design specifications, that is their choice to make for their own pipes. Don't let them impose their design standards on you.

The best thing about the age we live in is that we can learn about diverse cultural choices and then create our own mix. That applies to music, food, art and certainly pipes. The curved stem on your cutty reminds me a bit of the classic W.O. Larsen shape 49 or Walrus.

Here is a pipe I called a Cuttyfish (my #12) that surely will be problematic for the purists ;)

The "Prince of Alaska" that you made for me continues to be a great pleasure to smoke.

maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Dear Richard:
Glad to see you here, I was unaware that you were yachtexplorer; elaborate a pipe whenever I remember you.
Best regards.
Félix

Apreciado Richard:
Me alegro de verte por aquí; desconocía que fueses yachtexplorer; siempre que elaboro una pipa me acuerdo de tí.
Saludos cordiales.
Félix

yachtexplorer wrote:Felix, It is good to encounter you here.

I like the bend in the stem. Your shapes are creative and original. Keep them that way. Don't get trapped in the "tradition" of any one country's notion of what is a proper pipe. You have the right idea. Put your own name on it and make it the way you want.

If someone else tries to insist that if a pipe has a particular word in the name it therefor must conform to a rigid set of design specifications, that is their choice to make for their own pipes. Don't let them impose their design standards on you.

The best thing about the age we live in is that we can learn about diverse cultural choices and then create our own mix. That applies to music, food, art and certainly pipes. The curved stem on your cutty reminds me a bit of the classic W.O. Larsen shape 49 or Walrus.

Here is a pipe I called a Cuttyfish (my #12) that surely will be problematic for the purists ;)

The "Prince of Alaska" that you made for me continues to be a great pleasure to smoke.

lancefisher51

Post by lancefisher51 »

The "Prince of Alaska" is extremely nice pipe. One the best designed pipes in my opinion I have seen.

Lance
Using Tapatalk
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Thank you very much.
Saludos.
Félix
lancefisher51 wrote:The "Prince of Alaska" is extremely nice pipe. One the best designed pipes in my opinion I have seen.

Lance
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

maxmil wrote:Reflections exaggerate imperfections impossible to see at a glance.
Swap "reveal" for "exaggerate", and you've got it.
Reflections do not lie. It's physics.
baiguai

Post by baiguai »

maxmil wrote:I had in mind which is the source du Clay Pipe.

As for the other issue, is absolutely priceless sight, and pipe it is made ​​entirely by hand.
Best regards.
Félix
Thomas Tkach wrote:I think he means the line on the stem. It is wavy because the shaping is not quite perfect.

I noticed the symmetry thing - thanks for providing the source pic, since I don't own a cutty (yet), the measurements are helpful to get a general feel for the size when I decide to tackle this challenging shape.
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

But evidence of what inpreciable exaggerated eye.
My pipes are completely handmade, do not use templates or rules, and since I'm not a machine for turning ...
Best regards.
Félix

Pero evidencian de manera exagerada lo inpreciable a simple vista.
Mis pipas son totalmente artesanales, no utilizo plantillas ni reglas, y como no soy una máquina de tornear...
Saludos.
Félix
LatakiaLover wrote:
maxmil wrote:Reflections exaggerate imperfections impossible to see at a glance.
Swap "reveal" for "exaggerate", and you've got it.
Reflections do not lie. It's physics.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

maxmil wrote: My pipes are completely handmade, do not use templates or rules, and since I'm not a machine for turning ...
The whole idea (for perfection-chaser carvers, anyway) is to make something by hand that is so precise that it doesn't seem possible that it WAS made by hand.

Some smokers don't mind---or even prefer---an "arts & crafts" element to their pipes because it establishes a spiritual-y human connection thing. That's cool. Like what you smoke, smoke what you like, and all that. I mentioned reflections because unless otherwise requested, pipes posted to the gallery board get measured with the "approach to perfection" ruler... and the gleam never lies. :lol:
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Only say that little distortion can fix in a few minutes.
Best regards

Solo decir que esa inapreciable distrorsión puedo arreglarla en escasos minutos.
Saludos.

LatakiaLover wrote:
maxmil wrote: My pipes are completely handmade, do not use templates or rules, and since I'm not a machine for turning ...
The whole idea (for perfection-chaser carvers, anyway) is to make something by hand that is so precise that it doesn't seem possible that it WAS made by hand.

Some smokers don't mind---or even prefer---an "arts & crafts" element to their pipes because it establishes a spiritual-y human connection thing. That's cool. Like what you smoke, smoke what you like, and all that. I mentioned reflections because unless otherwise requested, pipes posted to the gallery board get measured with the "approach to perfection" ruler... and the gleam never lies. :lol:
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

maxmil wrote:Only say that little distortion can fix in a few minutes.
That seems intuitively true---only an exceedingly small amount of aberrant material is in play, so removing it to achieve virtual perfection should only take a correspondingly small amount of effort.

The situation is quite the opposite, though. Each time the distance to the goal is halved, the energy required to get there is doubled. Toward the end of that graph, the x-axis (achievement) line is asymptotically horizontal, and the y-axis (effort) line is asymptotically vertical.

Give making a distortion-free pipe & stem a go if you are in the mood sometime, and report back your findings. :D
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

The fact that a pipe is handmade should not be used as an excuse for a wavy line.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/