Jaws For Holding Briar in Your Chuck!

What to buy a used tool? Looking to sell some extra stems or inlay material? Post your buy, sell, or trade requests and advertisements here.
batavia

Re: Jaws For Holding Briar in Your Chuck!

Post by batavia »

How would I contact smokingdawg for his jaws?
BrianMadsen

Post by BrianMadsen »

Send a private message to him.

By the way, i got a set of his jaws a while back, and they are great!
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Price as of now is still $80 shipped priority mail to the Continental US. But, I will make and ship them anywhere for the added shipping charges.

My new email to send any requests or questions too is: stevegreathouse22@gmail.com
Pipe Maker in the Making!
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

I have been making a few sets of these and wanted to re-post a tip I use that makes my jaws easier to use.

A little tip on these........... The jaws are 1" material. So I mark on my block where I want my bore and airway drilled using a small rule that is 1/2" wide. So I mark two lines following both sides of the rule. That way when I chuck up the block, all I have to do is make the line I drew match the top of the jaw and I have dead on drilling.

It works well and it's the way I've always used my jaws. Works spot on every time.

I hope that everyone that has made a purchase of my jaws has been using them and found them to work well and be very useful. Post here if you want to make any comments on them, good or bad!

I've been thinking about making an addition to the jaws that I think may work, but won't be sure until I try it. I'll make myself a set first to give them a try and see if it works like I hope.

Basically I'll make a cut up the middle of the back side of each jaw that will be used to hold square/round stock (Should work good for Off square) to make shank extensions and such.

Any questions on my jaws you can email me at: stevegreathouse22@gmail.com or just PM me here.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I like my smokindawg briar jaws a lot. Never have an issue with drilling alignment since I started using them. I made a mark with a sharpie on the center point of the jaws and used that to align the lines on the side of the block.

If I were to want something else as a feature, it would be to add indexing pins so it would speed up the time it takes to rotate the block.

Thanks for keeping us all supplied with these jaws! They're the most affordable on the market.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
2combs

Post by 2combs »

I agree with Jeremiah, i really like mine. The pins would be nice sometimes, I've thought about adding them to mine, but I would probably buy another set if you added them.
Tu Combs
RHOX Pipes
finster

Post by finster »

Steve does great work, a real service for small-timers. Pins would be good, and the mods Steve mentions in his post would be very good also, but the jaws are first-rate. Steve, I'll be in touch soon- I know I left you hanging, but things are better now.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

I could add pins, but the price would go up, how much I don't know right now. I did make a set a couple months ago and added the pins to them. With the height I make my jaws the block wouldn't pivot without removing the block. I'd have to make the jaws taller and with taller comes more weight sticking out away from the chuck.

Of course, even if you had to take the block out of the jaws the pivot pins would still work since you'd just pull the block, turn it and then put the block back in the jaws aligning the pin marks and then tighten the chuck back up.

I just like keeping costs down by making the jaws the way I do now. But, not to say I may not change it up sometime. Just not sure it's worth the extra money I'd have to charge.

Thanks for all the positive comments on the jaws guys. I really appreciate it.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I'd probably be game for another set of jaws with pivot pins. I'll probably get them one way or another, even with a higher price tag. But having an entry level set without pins and a higher priced set with pins makes sense to me. Let me know if and when you decide to start making them with pins and I'll probably be on board.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Thanks again for all the positive reports guys. I'm still thinking on the pins.

It's been raining here all day but with warmer temps. So a good day to spend some time in the shop. I got one set done for someone but was set up and had time too make a couple extra sets. I also made a special set. I cut a groove down the back of the jaws. This is to hold square materials such as pen blanks. I did test them and they seem to work fine. You can hold the square stock to round the end and then put in a regular chuck or this one by taking the jaws off.

So my offer is this. The first person that wants to give these a try and send me a good report, positive or negative can have them for my regular price. But I will need the buyer to obligate to giving me their thoughts on the modification. Even if it proves not to work as I think they will the other side has my regular jaws so thes jaws will work as always for pipe blocks.

As said I also do have an extra regular set too.

Just PM me if your interested in either set.

I'll post pictures of the modified jaws once I get in the house to my computer.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Here are the pictures of the jaws I made that can be reversed to hold pen blanks.

smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

I now have my tester for the new design and the jaws are on the way to him. I do still have a regular set to fit either a Talon or Oneway chuck.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

I have two sets of jaws made up and ready to ship. Both sets are made too fit either a Oneway or Talon chuck.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

It's been a while since I was here............. Life things going on. But, I wanted to let anyone interested know that I'm still making jaws if anyone is in need. Just send me a message.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

I think I've pretty much told the ones I have sold chucks too the way I mount mine when putting them on the chuck.

Mount the chuck jaws on the chuck just to the point that they can still move on the chuck. then take small square of wood or metal and open the jaws so that this can be put between the front lower section between both jaws. Then close the jaws until it just holds that block. This will align the two jaws together and when that's done then just tighten both jaws down good and your then good to go.

I just mailed two sets off and found that the shipping for a small flat rate priority box (Which is how I ship) has gone up yet again. So, I'll have too raise the total price on my jaws now. The new price will be $85 shipped where I've been charging $80. I'll hold off until the 15th of April 2017 and will still ship with total price of $80 until then.

Thanks to everyone that have purchased in the past. I hope you've all been happy with the jaws as you use them.
MmmPeace

Post by MmmPeace »

Got my jaws from smokindawg last week and they are amazing! Thanks again for the great quality Steve!
RayMcDaniel

Post by RayMcDaniel »

Pm and email sent! I'm totally stoked to get them. Also pretty cool it can hold pen blanks too!
Massis

Post by Massis »

Hey Steve, can you make these with center pins as well? I'm looking for a set of jaws to fit on my Oneway chuck, but I really want a set with a pin in each jaw...
RayMcDaniel

Post by RayMcDaniel »

Massis wrote:Hey Steve, can you make these with center pins as well? I'm looking for a set of jaws to fit on my Oneway chuck, but I really want a set with a pin in each jaw...
Hey Masis, excuse the new guy question but what exactly are the center pins used for? Thanks
Massis

Post by Massis »

RayMcDaniel wrote:
Massis wrote:Hey Steve, can you make these with center pins as well? I'm looking for a set of jaws to fit on my Oneway chuck, but I really want a set with a pin in each jaw...
Hey Masis, excuse the new guy question but what exactly are the center pins used for? Thanks
pinpoint the intersection of airway & chamber, so you can rotate on that axis and always have perfect drilling.