Ebonite supplies

A place for businesses to post advertisements selling the raw materiasls for pipe making. (Briar, stems, rod stock, exotic woods, etc.)
archaggelosmichail

Ebonite supplies

Post by archaggelosmichail »

Hello again, I'm close to run out of acrylic bar material, and I've decided to go with ebonite only.

Can you suggest me any supplyier and tell me who has the best quality ebonite in black and cumberland colour?
Archer

Re: Ebonite supplies

Post by Archer »

http://www.americanartplastics.com/hard ... cing.shtml

I recently found this...will be giving them a try soon...anyone have an experience with them? Quality? Hope it helps...
Growley

Post by Growley »

Wayne (who headed up the group ebonite buy) recommended these guys to me: http://www.janzen-pfeifen.de/english/frameset.html. You can get ebonite from them by the meter for a pretty good rate and there doesn't seem to be a minimum buy. I just ordered from them 1 Ebonite and 3 different acrylics. They were fairly easy to communicate with. I haven't received my rods yet, but it's been just under 2 weeks and they are in Germany.

I'll re-post when they arrive. Shipping was only $28.00 US.

If you want to contact them directly, I have their email. PM me and I'll send it to you.

Brian.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Newcarver wrote:http://www.americanartplastics.com/hard ... cing.shtml

I recently found this...will be giving them a try soon...anyone have an experience with them? Quality? Hope it helps...

Last I heard American Art Plastics ebonite wasn't up to snuff for pipe stems yet. I purchased some earlier this year and confirm this to be true at least at that time. Their rods have tiny air bubbles and inclusions toward the center. If you'd like to try it anyway to practice I have several rods that I can't do anything with. Their Cumberland is as nice if not better than NYH, IMHO but they are still working on it and it isn't available for purchase last I checked. I'm keeping an eye on them as I'm sure many others are and hope to see them work out the kinks and offer quality rods soon.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Archer

Post by Archer »

Good to know. When and if or if and when I get around to it I will be more than happy to share my joys or failures on this supplier! Otherwise I may have some stummels for sale.... :lol:
Growley

Post by Growley »

Growley wrote:Wayne (who headed up the group ebonite buy) recommended these guys to me: http://www.janzen-pfeifen.de/english/frameset.html. You can get ebonite from them by the meter for a pretty good rate and there doesn't seem to be a minimum buy. I just ordered from them 1 Ebonite and 3 different acrylics. They were fairly easy to communicate with. I haven't received my rods yet, but it's been just under 2 weeks and they are in Germany.

I'll re-post when they arrive. Shipping was only $28.00 US.

If you want to contact them directly, I have their email. PM me and I'll send it to you.

Brian.

**UPDATE**

I just got my shipment in from Marco with the company above. The shipping time to the US took about two weeks. I asked him if he'd throw in some free samples of his other rod stock and he probably gave me another free 12" of different colored rod stock. I'm sure I'll use them for decorative inserts and extensions and such. I'll let you know how things look after I've turned out a few stems. The good news so far is that I paid him and he delivered!
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Can't complain about Marco, always had good service from him. Prices may not be the best but he is easy to deal with and packages always arrive promptly.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

As with Chris I've purchased items from Marco multiple times and have no complaints about the service or the delivery time.. I can't always order 10 rods at a time, so the difference is price for a single rod is worth it for me

James
archaggelosmichail

I've made my first(and only) purchase by Janzen.

I'm really happy with the black ebonite and coloured acrylic rods.

What I didn't like with his cumberland was that the red swirls where at their best in a larger diam. that my stems have.
So the result was a brown stem with thin red lines.

Can you suggest me a ebonite supplier with better looking cumberland, like this:
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

archaggelosmichail wrote:I've made my first(and only) purchase by Janzen.

I'm really happy with the black ebonite and coloured acrylic rods.

What I didn't like with his cumberland was that the red swirls where at their best in a larger diam. that my stems have.
So the result was a brown stem with thin red lines.

Can you suggest me a ebonite supplier with better looking cumberland, like this:
Would you mind posting a pic of the stem you are referring to? The one you didn't like? I don't like the thicker lines (like the one you posted) so this might be better for me. A close up would be great.

Thanks.
hawky454

Post by hawky454 »

Are the prices for Ebonite/Cumberland rods form Pipe Makers Emporium reasonable? I thought most people on this forum purchased most of their supplies from there?
Go hang a salami I'm a lasagna hog.
archaggelosmichail

My pipes made by Janzen cumberland rod:

Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

That looks like the good stuff.

Like briar, Cumberland holds surprises on the inside. Sometimes it might disappoint.

I think what you ended up with is fine, and quite typical looking for "the real thing."
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

The NYH Cumberland typically has thinner and more subtle orange streaks in it. I believe PME and Janzen both sell the NYH stuff. If you are looking for the stuff with more orange then that's the SEM "Cumberland" (they call it swirled I think.) You can buy it direct from SEM or you can get it from PME also. Janzen also sells "Cumberland" acrylic. I just got a shipment in today and it looks nice.
Wayne Teipen
andrew

Post by andrew »

Wayne,

I'd really like to see some shots of the acrylic cumberland when you get around to making something from it. My curiosity is piqued.
Growley

Post by Growley »

wdteipen wrote:The NYH Cumberland typically has thinner and more subtle orange streaks in it. I believe PME and Janzen both sell the NYH stuff. If you are looking for the stuff with more orange then that's the SEM "Cumberland" (they call it swirled I think.) You can buy it direct from SEM or you can get it from PME also. Janzen also sells "Cumberland" acrylic. I just got a shipment in today and it looks nice.
I've made a few stems form Janzen's acrylic cumberland and I think it looks pretty nice. The markings are subtle but distinct. You kind of have to look "into" the shine to see them. I'm no expert, but it seems that this is a good product. Marco is good to work with too. He replaced a bad bar with absolutely no hassles.

Brian.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

andrew wrote:Wayne,

I'd really like to see some shots of the acrylic cumberland when you get around to making something from it. My curiosity is piqued.

I believe it's the same stuff that Peterson uses on their Irish Harp line. As Growley states, the orange is darker and more subtle than ebonite Cumberland and you have to look closer to notice it but it's still a nice look for those who prefer acrylic.
Wayne Teipen
archaggelosmichail

I think that I'll go with SEM cumberland.But First I'' give a try in Janzen smaller diam. rod, maybe I'll hit the swirls.

Acrylic Cumberland is like Janzen Ebonite Cumberland, but I can't work anymore with acrylic, it's absolutely impossilbe to made a good handcut stem out of it.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

archaggelosmichail wrote:
Acrylic Cumberland is like Janzen Ebonite Cumberland, but I can't work anymore with acrylic, it's absolutely impossilbe to made a good handcut stem out of it.
Well, it's not impossible. :P

It does take a lot more work though. :wink:

Rad
hawky454

Post by hawky454 »

Does anyone have experience with this seller: http://myworld.ebay.com/rangahandmadepe ... 4340.l2559 I'm wondering if his material is high quality.

Thanks
Go hang a salami I'm a lasagna hog.