Chamber from toolpost?

A place for businesses to post for sale the tools necessary for pipe making.
kasperbunk

Chamber from toolpost?

Post by kasperbunk »

Anyone drilling tobacco chamber with toolbit in the toolpost? Anyone who could recommend a shape on the tool. If you look on the video of “Former makes a billiard” https://youtu.be/YxVodOHo1Nw
1.50min. you see him drilling from the toolpost. Looks easy. I am having trouble with drilling large diameter from my tailstock. Maybe it’s an alignment issue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UnderShade

Re: Chamber from toolpost?

Post by UnderShade »

Former makes everything look easy...

I wondered about that bit also. Not sure why (other than convenience and expediency) one would drill from the tool post. I’d definitely check the alignment of my tailstock or the condition of your drill bits/chuck if you’re having troubles.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

That's essentially a boring bar. It only cuts from one side, and allows you to make the chamber as wide as you need it without having to have a drill bit of the exact size you need. They are very easy to make - all you need is some square stock (or round, depending on your toolholder) and a grinder. It's fast and accurate, and not prone to wobble and binding as some drill bits can be.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
kasperbunk

Post by kasperbunk »

Kurt do you maybe have an example to show?

kasperbunk

Post by kasperbunk »

Could I make one from a spade bit?

KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

kasperbunk wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:10 pm Could I make one from a spade bit?

Kurt do you maybe have an example to show?
Yes - I'll dig one out and take a pic. I also have a need to make one (I changed my toolpost recently, and this video reminded me), and I can take video of that process.

I would NOT make one from a spade bit.The shanks on spade bits are too flexible (they're designed to flex) and won't be rigid enough. There's also the problem of holding the round shank securely enough to not spin. You really want to make these from 3/8" or larger square tool bits - either M2 or M42 tool steel.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
kasperbunk

Post by kasperbunk »

A video would be awesome!

UnderShade

Post by UnderShade »

That makes total sense Kurt. Would love to see a video as well!
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Not a pipe maker, the me, but I always wondered why all the ones I've known who were not "shape first THEN drill" guys had a large assortment of chamber bits, when cutting from the side is so much more flexible, faster, and less expensive. Charatan did it, so it's not even a Scandinavian thing.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
n80

Post by n80 »

I'm assuming the block of wood he inserted at the base was his depth gauge. I bet he had one for every pipe shape.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I approach chamber sizes and shapes from a different start point. I am a shape first then drill maker.
Although I have a dozen chamber bits of varying sizes and shapes, I generally make all of my chambers the same smaller size and when I have fixed on the final outer shape, adjust the size of the chamber larger with sanding mandrels using 60-80 grit paper.
The mandrels are simple oak dowels shaped on the lathe with a slit to accommodate the sand paper and which vary in size and chamber shape to conform to the outer dimensions of the pipe bowl. These are chucked in the lathe for use.When the final chamber dimension is reached, I can then use finer grits on the same mandrel to finish the chamber.
Premal Chheda carries a line of mandrels made from metal which do the same thing.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

When watching this video, take note of the fact that his chamber tool is probably sharp enough to shave with. That makes a HUGE difference in the quality of the chamber finish and greatly reduces the effort to use it.
I'll also throw this out to Kurt: would a spoon bit achieve the desired result as it is essentially a one-edged reamer? Just step it over on successive cuts.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

oklahoma red wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:11 pm I'll also throw this out to Kurt: would a spoon bit achieve the desired result as it is essentially a one-edged reamer? Just step it over on successive cuts.
Hmm. Maybe. I don't think I would do that though. The relief angle on the underside of the cutter needs to be more pronounced than a spoon bit. Spoon bits are designed to ride the chamber walls for support during freehand drilling, and that lack of relief could (probably will) negatively impact them when stepped over .020" to expand the chamber size. It could work - I just have a bad feeling about it.

And I apologize - I meant to get some pics snapped and some video taken this past weekend of grinding a chamber bit like Former's, but ran out of time. I'll get it done this coming weekend.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
kasperbunk

Post by kasperbunk »

Did you make a video Kurt?

KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »