Inexpensive Buffer

A place for businesses to post for sale the tools necessary for pipe making.
Frank

Inexpensive Buffer

Post by Frank »

I just stumbled upon this item: http://www.pennstateind.com/store/probuff.html meant for buffing turned pens. Includes wheels & compound.
It could be handy for the hobbyist pipemaker trying to stay under $100 for a buffing setup, but it isn't very big.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

The slowest speed of this buffer is 2000 RPM and uses 4" wheels. That's actually pretty good. It's actually considerably slower in terms of SFPM (surface feet per minute) than a 1725 RPM motor with 8" wheels. Calculate (.25*Dia) * RPM

2000 SFPM vs 3450 SFPM
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

What SRPM Do you want when buffing carnuba? I've always heard 1700 rpm but what size buff?
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Not a bad price either.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

The thing is, I would suspect if you applied any pressure against the wheel, you will be able to stop the motor. You really do need a little bit of HP. Maybe 1/3 HP (I would think) is a min for general purpose.

But for doing stems, and maybe lightly applying wax to a stummel, this certainly is a good price.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Briarfox wrote:What SRPM Do you want when buffing carnuba? I've always heard 1700 rpm but what size buff?
Most folks on this site use 6" to 8" diameter wheels. I have beefier equipment, so I use 10" unstitched wheels. Wheel diameter isn't that critical when final buffing with carnauba, because the unstitched loose wheel isn't likely to cause scorching. I use Tyler's method, gently applying the pipe to the wheel edge.

PS: Just in case in you're confusing the terms:
rpm = revolutions per minute (the number of revolutions the shaft/wheel makes per minute)
sfpm = surface feet per minute (the speed at which the surface of the wheel is passing a fixed point).

The larger the wheel diameter, the higher the sfpm at the same rpm's.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett