Fixture for chucking pre-formed stems

A place for businesses to post for sale the tools necessary for pipe making.
kkendall

Fixture for chucking pre-formed stems

Post by kkendall »

Here is a handy-dandy little fixture that lets you chuck pre-formed stems (or any stem that already has a button) into a lathe for turning. If there's any interest, $50 Delivered :

Slide the bit over the pin

Drop the bit into the slot

Support the tenon side on a tailstock center

hazmat

Post by hazmat »

I'm SO FREAKING GLAD you found this thing! I knew it was out there somewhere, I'd seen it and even emailed the guy who makes them...but then I moved at one point and couldn't find his site or email address again. That's awesome!!!
Frank

Post by Frank »

I saw something similar elsewhere on the Web, I forget where. I was thinking of making one, but my concern was that if the pin didn't exactly fit the button side hole, there might be slight lateral movement or misalignment of the stem centre to centre. My reasoning is that even a couple of thou off would affect the tenon fit.

So the question is, how well does it work?
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Skip

Fixture for chucking stems

Post by Skip »

A friend of mine that was a machinest took a small self centering four jaw chuck and simply cut a groove in two oposite jaws verticaly for the stem to seat in. He then used the live center in the tail stock to support it. He also removed the other two jaws. I bought the chuck from Penn State Industries for about 39.00. It works great but I rarely use it since I make all of my stems by hand.

Skip
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

I'd get it just to round out my pipe making tools, it would get a fair amount of use even though I hand cut my stems. My concern is , whats the diameter of the pin?
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

The pin can be whatever diameter you like. I like my airhole 5/64 (.0781) and the pin I use is 1.95mm (.0767).
randyhoguepipes

Re: Fixture for chucking pre-formed stems

Post by randyhoguepipes »

Do you have pictures available of this stem jig?

Randy