I was braim storming

A place for businesses to post for sale the tools necessary for pipe making.
Nick

I was braim storming

Post by Nick »

Always a dangerous thing to do I know. Nonetheless, I was braim storming on a consistent was to turn a tenon on a wood lathe without spending $400.00 on a good tenon turner or wasting the cash on the cheapee pimo turner. So, here's what I came up with:

Goofy I know. Probably cost more to make that the JHLow Tennon turner too. But aside from those obvious criticisms, what do you think?

The measurements would have to be fudged a bit. I was thinking that the pin should be about 1/8" and the distance measured be somthing a hair greater than that. That is to say, if the blade were resting right against the pin, the measurment would be just a touch bigger than 1/8". Or perhaps I'm thinking about it the wrong way? Perhaps, to use a tool like this, one would have to focus on the tenon wall thickness plus 1/2 the draught hole diameter. That'd work I bet, and then you don't have to worry about the pin being smaller than the draught hole.

Anyway, comments are always appriciated.

NJ
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hmmmmmm. You know, the measurments would have to be adjustable some how because every time the tool would be sharpened, it would take away some of the blade length.
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Certainly an interesting proposal?!! 8)
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
max

Post by max »

I have a lather compound made for a wood lathe. It bolts to the bed just like the toll rest and has a screw to feed the rocker post across the bed and a compound screw to move the feed at any angle. I was going to put it on Ebay but it is available if any body wants it.
max
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Max, so is this a tool rest similar to a metal lathe only made to mount on a wood lathe?

If so, how easy is it to switch from that to the standard wood lathe tool rest?
magruder

Post by magruder »

Not seeing photo. Can you re-post it please? :dunno:
Nick

Post by Nick »

Sure, not sure what the deal is.
max

compund stage

Post by max »

You can buy a compound stage (an x-y stage) that a couple of wood lathe manufacturers sell adn that will give you the ability to make metal lathe movements of the cutter on a wood lathe.
max

Sorry guys, I did not read all of the posts and did not see I already posted this.
I am getting old, tomorrow is my birthday.
max
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Max, can you post some links to this? I haven't been able to find anything like that for a Jet mini, or any wood lathe for that matter.
max

XY

Post by max »

Here is the one I am trying to sell.
http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/lucebutt/
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Max wrote:
Here is the one I'm trying to sell.

I'm definitely interested. I'll PM you. Feel free to email me.
JHowell

Re: XY

Post by JHowell »

max wrote:Here is the one I am trying to sell.
http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/lucebutt/
That looks backward to me. The handle for traverse movement (compound, I guess) should be opposite the headstock. Are the pictures reversed?
max

Post by max »

You realize that the post swivels around the base as well as moving in the X and Y directions so you can cut tapers and angles.
Frank

Re: XY

Post by Frank »

JHowell wrote:That looks backward to me. The handle for traverse movement (compound, I guess) should be opposite the headstock. Are the pictures reversed?
It looks as if the upper slide can be unbolted and rotated 180 deg, then bolted back on.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
max

Post by max »

To make the compund cut tapers it rotates 360 degrees. The mounting plate is made to go on the ways in one direction. The upper compound can be positioned any way you would like.
max