At what point do I give up?

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
TJarv

At what point do I give up?

Post by TJarv »

This is my first pipe, so I am trying to take my time with the sanding process. I'm at a 220 grit right now but have all of these pits that just won't go away. At what point should I just give up and rusticate?
Alden

Re: At what point do I give up?

Post by Alden »

You're not going to sand those out, if thats what you are asking.
You should go back with a file and take material off the stem where it meets the shank. Leave the stem in and rotate it a few times as you work so the stem and shank stay round. You should take off some material from the shank also, it gets much too fat as it nears the bowl.
Other than that, not too bad for a 1st. Your lines are reasonably crisp. It would look better with some type of finish other than smooth.
TJarv

Post by TJarv »

Thanks Ryan. I'll get back out there tomorrow night and see if I can clean it up a bit. I think I'll take some time practicing rusticating on some scrap for a little bit before I try it on the pipe.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Yeah. Just rusticate when the shaping is done. You're not going to get the flaws out and have the pipe look good unless you rusticate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

Either that, or just stain it reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally dark. :?
- Steve S.
Mtlayne

Post by Mtlayne »

are those little black dots what you are talking about? I got some on my pipe that i am working on now. first one
socrates

Post by socrates »

Too nice other than the flaws to give up on at this point. Rusticate, dye and finish. Show us again after you have finished.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

I am in the opinion to not worry about grain or flaws. Just make a nice shape. If the grain is good, then make it smooth. If not, then do a textured finish.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

Iawp. Tighten up the overall shaping on the pipe. If there are no pipe killing flaws, then it will be a smooth, blast, or rusticate. Either way the shaping still needs to be tweaked.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

When drilling first, I agree with Premal. Chasing flaws typically leaves you with a pipe that doesn't look right. Execute a solid shape and finish it based on what you're left with after shaping.

When shaping before drilling, you can chase out major flaws and hopefully still have enough briar to alter the shape. You still can't chase out every single flaw even with this method.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
dogcatcher

Post by dogcatcher »

Sometimes the natural flaws add more character being there than the craftsman could ever do with trying to make it perfect.
socrates

Post by socrates »

In some Native American bead work you can see what appears to be a mistake or misplaced bead/color. I'm told it's not a mistake but simply and intentionally saying man is not perfect.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7
Charl

Post by Charl »

:? Damn! Now you tell me! I could have had a very good excuse for shitty pipes all these years! :lol:
socrates

Post by socrates »

Charl wrote::? Damn! Now you tell me! I could have had a very good excuse for shitty pipes all these years! :lol:
Naw ones different than the other. A shitty pipe is one where the stem hasn't been drilled and the maker can't figure out why he can't smoke it. Or a maker finishes a pipe without a tobacco chamber and wonders where to put the tobac lol.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7