Where and how to start?

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
Levins_Sevens

Where and how to start?

Post by Levins_Sevens »

Alright fellas, I'm working on my first pipe ever and have reached the finishing stage. I have the shape I want and the stem ready to go. What do I do next? I've looked at some of the other posts and topics under finishing techniques and it's a little overwhelming to be honest. I don't know what stains to buy, where to buy them from, methods to use in applying them, what shellac is, etc.

Any methods that some of you more experienced guys have that aren't too complicated will be greatly appreciated!!!
New kid on the (briar) block.
sandahlpipe

Re: Where and how to start?

Post by sandahlpipe »

Grab a shade of brown from Steve Norse. (Vermont freehand) and he can send it to you. He's also got all the other supplies you need for making pipes. For staining, make sure you get all the scratches out to at least 400 grit and apply the stain. Finishing involves a lot of trial and error, so just try something and post the results when you're finished. Worst case you don't like the stain and you sand it back. You can try it out on various scraps of briar.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Levins_Sevens

Post by Levins_Sevens »

Should I get feibing or powdered?
Levins_Sevens

Post by Levins_Sevens »

Ignore that, fiebing it is.
anthonyrosenthal74

Post by anthonyrosenthal74 »

Welcome :) I'm new here myself and just recently finished my first pipe. It was a freaking blast and I definitely have the bug now! Just about to start shaping my second. Good luck on your first stain and let us know how it turns out.