Chestnut brand stains from the U.K.

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
oklahoma red

Chestnut brand stains from the U.K.

Post by oklahoma red »

If you are out there Chris,
I rec'd an email notification today from Craft Supplies USA (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/50/ ... n-chestnut touting the fact they were now carrying the Chestnut brand of "spirit stains" (aka alcohol) which are made in the U.K.
I'm curious if you are familiar with the brand and if you might have any info to report.
Oakbear

Re: Chestnut brand stains from the U.K.

Post by Oakbear »

I've used them on a variety of woods but not briar yet. They colour very well and are easy to work with in my experience. You can do some funky effects by blending or layering them too. I'd be interested in hearing of any experience with briar.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Oakbear wrote:I've used them on a variety of woods but not briar yet. They colour very well and are easy to work with in my experience. You can do some funky effects by blending or layering them too. I'd be interested in hearing of any experience with briar.
My apologies as I did not mean to leave you out of this query. I lose track in here of where everyone is from, especially newcomers.
I'll cast a wider net: anyone on the other side of the pond have any input?
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I have not really used them. Paul H used them when I first starting learning at his shop, they worked well as I recall but he switched over to fiebings after a while, not sure why, I never asked. From what I do remember there wasn't as much body in the chestnut stains, probably because they are designed for wood and not leather so they expect you want to see some grain. I might try out their sample pack if they still do it, lots of small bottles for a good price but I suspect that in the long run it is better to stick with fiebings and just thin as required.
Oakbear

Post by Oakbear »

oklahoma red wrote: My apologies as I did not mean to leave you out of this query. I lose track in here of where everyone is from, especially newcomers.
No problems! :D

I've been meaning to try these on briar for a while too. The multipack of bright colours is around £14 i think, so i'll order some. Not sure lime green stain is my style, but interesting to have in the bag in case!
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Oakbear wrote:
oklahoma red wrote: My apologies as I did not mean to leave you out of this query. I lose track in here of where everyone is from, especially newcomers.
No problems! :D

I've been meaning to try these on briar for a while too. The multipack of bright colours is around £14 i think, so i'll order some. Not sure lime green stain is my style, but interesting to have in the bag in case!

Be interested to hear your thoughts. I have some need for brighter colours soon and was considering the Chestnut pack, your feedback will be a great help.
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

caskwith wrote:I have not really used them. Paul H used them when I first starting learning at his shop, they worked well as I recall but he switched over to fiebings after a while, not sure why, I never asked. From what I do remember there wasn't as much body in the chestnut stains, probably because they are designed for wood and not leather so they expect you want to see some grain. I might try out their sample pack if they still do it, lots of small bottles for a good price but I suspect that in the long run it is better to stick with fiebings and just thin as required.
I seen the sample pack on several websites including there's. Really not a bad price at all, about $25 plus shipping.
Here's one on Amazonhttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Chestnut-SSW-Sp ... B005QOGP18
rdpipes.briar.club
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

UPDATE:

I ordered the rainbow colour pack. I needed some brighter colours for upcoming projects and the trial pack contained everything I needed and was by far the cheapest way to purchase. Will let you know how I get on. The white stain will be interesting for sure.
anthonyrosenthal74

Post by anthonyrosenthal74 »

Reading up on this stain, it turns out they are 5% shellac, which I thought interesting as it seems using shellac as a way to set the stain is common here (I'm of course just assuming this after reading some posts on staining and finishing).

From the article...
The colors also have a 5% shellac content, which binds the color to the alcohol. This will aid the finishing process, as with each coat of color the wood will become more progressively sealed, therefore the later colors soak in less.
So, since the stain is set and the wood is sealed basically between coats of stain, does that defeat the need to use shellac as a sealer before final buffing and waxing?
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I didn't notice any difference.
Oakbear

Post by Oakbear »

I haven't got round to getting any yet.
How did you get on Chris? Do they work well on briar?
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

So far the colours that I have used work just fine. They don't quite have the depth of colour of a leather stain (as I would expect) but that is easily solved by using 2 coats. Only tried on sandblast so far, not sure if I will get a chance on smooths as I only have the rainbow pack and don't plan to make any rainbow smooths lol.
anthonyrosenthal74

Post by anthonyrosenthal74 »

I ordered some. I'm going to go ahead and try that green and blue contrast, so I ordered some. Should be in the mail tomorrow as I ordered it from a local dealer. I'll let you all know what I think.