Firebing's Leather Dye inside bowl

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
bambam1723

Firebing's Leather Dye inside bowl

Post by bambam1723 »

I have been scouring the internet, and cannot find an answer to this question.

No matter how hard I try, I always end up with small little spots of stain on the inside of my pipe bowl after staining and applying shellac. I use Fiebing's Leather Dye.

I have tried my hardest, even stuffing the bowl interior with a cotton ball, corking the top of the bowl and blocking the draft hole as well. Even though I do all of this, I still get little spots on the inside of the bowl. I recently had an epiphany after doing all this. I am not splashing the dye into the bowl, but I believe it is actually just seeping through from the bowl's exterior.

No matter how hard I try, I am also unable to get these spots removed from sanding. I think this goes back to my original theory about seeping through, as the dye has penetrated the wood and no amount of sanding will do away with them.

Here is an example of a pipe I made a while back...

I guess the questions I have are these:

Has anyone else experienced this?

The Fiebing's Leather Dye box has cautions on it about it being harmful if swallowed, so are these small amounts of dried dye on the interior of the bowl dangerous?

Thanks all
NathanA
Site Supporter

Re: Firebing's Leather Dye inside bowl

Post by NathanA »

The stain has seeped through. This could mean the presence of a flaw in that area but it is totally normal especially with thin walled pipes and often sandblasts. This is one of the reasons why many makers use a bowl coating because, although its not a problem, it is unsightly.
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

Yeah, thats never coming out. It has been absorbed by the briar and goes all the way through the Walls of the bowl.
bambam1723

Post by bambam1723 »

Thanks guys, it will be just a memory after a few bowls and the cake forms.
socrates

Post by socrates »

Does this affect the flavor of the smoke?

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

socrates wrote:Does this affect the flavor of the smoke?

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk
No.
LittleBill

Post by LittleBill »

bambam1723 wrote: The Fiebing's Leather Dye box has cautions on it about it being harmful if swallowed, so are these small amounts of dried dye on the interior of the bowl dangerous?

Thanks all
For virtually every modern finish, it is the solvent that is dangerous, and not the dye or pigment itself. The same goes for oil finishes, varnishes (polyurethane) or shellac. The solvents can make you real sick, or if you ingest enough of them, kill you. The solids left behind once the solvents gas off are inert, and will do no harm. We have a saying around here. You can eat it, but you can't drink it.