Name that stain?

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
JJL

Name that stain?

Post by JJL »

It's a Castello pipe I have had on file for years. I have finished my first pipe, but it still needs a stain/dye, which is currently in the mail being delived. I have the Fiebing's Cordovan coming in the mail (among a couple others), but I don't think this castello pipe is Cordovan.

What is it? Oxblood? Probably not Mahogany.

Ocelot55

Re: Name that stain?

Post by Ocelot55 »

It's almost impossible to say from pictures. Assuming the color representation transmitted through all the technological bits is accurate, I'd say a mix of oxblood and burgundy. Red and burgundy might also work. Cordovan and mahogany are definitely not right.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

On a textured pipe, cordovan does this: Image

It's too dark for Chocolate, too brown for oxblood or red, the "dark brown" is less red, so I'm not sure, but Feibings has another handful of browns and there are other dye suppliers with other colors too (Angelus etc).

I think you'll have to mix to make it, I'd try oxblood and chocolate.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Looks like Orange, either with a touch of Light Brown, or garnet shellac over it.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Fun fact: different pieces of wood "take" stain differently according to how spiteful the briar gods feel toward you on a particular day. Meaning live, beside-the-subject-pipe testing on a piece of scrap wood in realtime won't necessarily result in a bullseye unless the scrap is from the same block.

Also, red is categorically a PITA regarding everything in the world, not just pipes. Plastic, leather, housepaint, auto paint, clothing, etc. It fades, it bleeds, and there are approximately ten trillion shades of it. :evil:

If I was trying to replicate JJL's Castello, I'd start with a couple tablespoons of Fiebing's basic red in one of those shot-glass-sized throwaway plastic cups (available by the bag in grocery stores), add a single drop of black, stir, and start testing-dabbing with a Q-tip. Add a drop or two of brown---any variety should do---with each iteration until the desired shade is reached.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Truth about the briar for sure, I have two pipes both stained same color, same day, same process, and they are totally different outcomes.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Yup. That's one reason why recommending matching stains is nearly a fool's errand.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

With God as my witness, I am that fool!
JJL

Post by JJL »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have placed an order for three 4oz Fiebing's Dyes, based on the suggestions here: Oxblood, Red, and Black. So for now, all the Fiebing's colours I can work with will be Cordovan, Tan, Dark Brown, Oxblood, Red, and Black. Once I get the Cordovan dye on my first pipe, then I'll start working on getting the purpleish stain look of the Castello in the first post of this thread. Once I am satisfied with the recipe, then it will most likely be applied to my second pipe, that is yet to be started. I will post results.

For Canadians out there who might be interested, I ordered the Oxblood, Red, and Black from a (new to me) Toronto based company: “sewingsupplydepot.com” (No, I am not a shill for this company). I am located somewhat close to Toronto, and the shipping cost me $12.09 (CAD) for the three 4oz bottles, which is not that bad....and much cheaper for me than typical flat rate shipping costs from USA. I plan to test out their website to see how many more 4oz Fiebing's bottles can be shipped for that same cost of $12.09 shipping and handling.