Sanding/buffing of stem: microscratching

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
Sasquatch

Re: Sanding/buffing of stem: microscratching

Post by Sasquatch »

There's 2 I really like. Sia-soft foam backed pads are really nice for pipes, flexible, they aren't cutty at the edges, last a long time. And they sell a little 2" by 3" cloth backed pad called Sia-rexx and they are the cat's ass - roll up tight or use them against edges (like at the button).

Truly, there are all sorts of really good abrasives out there, and Klingspor, Norton etc are really just fine, it's about getting the particular product you want, whether it's wet/dry silicon carbide or some other abrasive or backing. The sia stuff seems to cut forever and not load up bad, and they are about 30 cents a sheet for the rex and a buck or two for the siasofts, and they do many pipes each.

As you explore finishing styles, your needs and preferences change.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Sasquatch wrote:There's 2 I really like. Sia-soft foam backed pads are really nice for pipes, flexible, they aren't cutty at the edges, last a long time. And they sell a little 2" by 3" cloth backed pad called Sia-rexx and they are the cat's ass - roll up tight or use them against edges (like at the button).

Truly, there are all sorts of really good abrasives out there, and Klingspor, Norton etc are really just fine, it's about getting the particular product you want, whether it's wet/dry silicon carbide or some other abrasive or backing. The sia stuff seems to cut forever and not load up bad, and they are about 30 cents a sheet for the rex and a buck or two for the siasofts, and they do many pipes each.

As you explore finishing styles, your needs and preferences change.
Thanks for the info. I've been using Mirka mesh and am pleased with the results. However, I'm always looking for different approaches. Can't have too many tools at one's fingertips.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I think it's harder to source Sia here in the US. I looked into it when I decided to go with Klingspor because I could find it easier.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
andrew

Post by andrew »

sandahlpipe wrote:I think it's harder to source Sia here in the US. I looked into it when I decided to go with Klingspor because I could find it easier.
Same here.
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

andrew wrote:
sandahlpipe wrote:I think it's harder to source Sia here in the US. I looked into it when I decided to go with Klingspor because I could find it easier.
Same here.
Here's a couple:
https://thesandingglove.com/SIASOFT-Abrasive-Rolls.asp

http://vinceswoodnwonders.com/sia-foam- ... abrasives/

Cap'n Eddie Castelin plugs vinceswoodnwonders all the time.

Haven't tried either source, personally. It's on my to-do list once my current stash of papers runs out.
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by caskwith »

As Todd says there are several good brands out there, find one you like and go with it. Availability was one of the biggest factors for me, I can get a huge range of abrasives from many different manufacturers but Mirka was the only one that supplied just about everything I needed and I could buy easily from one store at a good price.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I have used thesandingglove.com for years for my little 3" and 2" discs. I'll vouch for them.

Time for some new discs anyway....guess I'll through a sheet or two of the Sia and see what I think.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com