Finishing bog oak

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
JuanPablo30

Finishing bog oak

Post by JuanPablo30 »

I'm working on my first bog oak or morta pipe. I don't have a sand blaster and I don't really like the smooth finish on morta. Is there any other finishing technique that works on morta? Do you wax morta pipes or just sand it until it shines?
sandahlpipe

Re: Finishing bog oak

Post by sandahlpipe »

You can always experiment with rustication or other finishes, but smooth or blasted (I saw Walt's suede blast on a scrap, but none of us have been able to figure out the secret yet...) are the two standard options. If you're finishing smooth, wax is a good option. If you're blasting, you'll need an oil or shellac-based finish as the texture will catch fuzz from your buffing wheels.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
JuanPablo30

Post by JuanPablo30 »

sandahlpipe wrote:You can always experiment with rustication or other finishes, but smooth or blasted (I saw Walt's suede blast on a scrap, but none of us have been able to figure out the secret yet...) are the two standard options. If you're finishing smooth, wax is a good option. If you're blasting, you'll need an oil or shellac-based finish as the texture will catch fuzz from your buffing wheels.
I will experiment rusticating on a scrap piece but unless I fervid results, it will end up as a smooth pipe. Thanks Jeremiah.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Smooth is the only other option really. You might be able to rusticate with a wire brush but I am not hopeful.
JuanPablo30

Post by JuanPablo30 »

caskwith wrote:Smooth is the only other option really. You might be able to rusticate with a wire brush but I am not hopeful.
Thanks for the sujestion. It will most likely end up as a smooth pipe unless I get good results on a scrap piece.
Thomas Tkach

Post by Thomas Tkach »

caskwith wrote:Smooth is the only other option really. You might be able to rusticate with a wire brush but I am not hopeful.
What about 'blastication' with the texturing wire wheels from that other thread?
On land, at sea, at home, abroad,
I smoke my pipe and worship God.

http://tatmakesthings.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1?feature=mhee
JuanPablo30

Post by JuanPablo30 »

Thomas Tkach wrote:
What about 'blastication' with the texturing wire wheels from that other thread?
Haven't seen that thread. I left it smooth.

finster

Post by finster »

Thomas Tkach wrote:
Turned out nice. :D As for "blastication", I tried it with morta and it did have some effect, but too much tearout and fuzziness. Without blast equipment, it seems smooth is the way to go with the bog oak, as suggested.
JuanPablo30

Post by JuanPablo30 »

finster wrote:
Thomas Tkach wrote:
Turned out nice. :D As for "blastication", I tried it with morta and it did have some effect, but too much tearout and fuzziness. Without blast equipment, it seems smooth is the way to go with the bog oak, as suggested.
Thank you. Is that a link you tried to add to the response?
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

For what it's worth, it looks like you have a bit of tearout on the bowl. I presume you turned it on a lathe. Morta is notorious for being prone to tearout. Keep tools extra sharp (you may need to hone them more than once per block) and do some sanding on the lathe to get it smooth. I haven't done many smooth morta pipes because of the amount of work it takes to get them uniformly smooth. Also, I find smooth morta to be less eye-catching than a blast, so he extra work doesn't seem to justify itself for me.

Having said that, the rest of this pipe looks decent. The bowl is a bit thick for my eye, but quite nice for your first morta pipe.

Keep up the good work!
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
JuanPablo30

Post by JuanPablo30 »

sandahlpipe wrote:For what it's worth, it looks like you have a bit of tearout on the bowl. I presume you turned it on a lathe. Morta is notorious for being prone to tearout. Keep tools extra sharp (you may need to hone them more than once per block) and do some sanding on the lathe to get it smooth. I haven't done many smooth morta pipes because of the amount of work it takes to get them uniformly smooth. Also, I find smooth morta to be less eye-catching than a blast, so he extra work doesn't seem to justify itself for me.

Having said that, the rest of this pipe looks decent. The bowl is a bit thick for my eye, but quite nice for your first morta pipe.

Keep up the good work!
Hi Jeremiah, I did turn this pipe on a lathe. I love the way morta pipes look with the sandblasted finish as well. I have one more block and I think I will save it until I get a blaster. Thank you.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

JuanPablo30 wrote:
sandahlpipe wrote:For what it's worth, it looks like you have a bit of tearout on the bowl. I presume you turned it on a lathe. Morta is notorious for being prone to tearout. Keep tools extra sharp (you may need to hone them more than once per block) and do some sanding on the lathe to get it smooth. I haven't done many smooth morta pipes because of the amount of work it takes to get them uniformly smooth. Also, I find smooth morta to be less eye-catching than a blast, so he extra work doesn't seem to justify itself for me.

Keep up the good work!
Hi Jeremiah, I did turn this pipe on a lathe. I love the way morta pipes look with the sandblasted finish as well. I have one more block and I think I will save it until I get a blaster. Thank you.

Find a pipemaker locally if possible or send it out to be blasted, totally worth it and the lathe tearout becomes much less of a headache.
JuanPablo30

Post by JuanPablo30 »

caskwith wrote:
JuanPablo30 wrote:

Keep up the good work!

Find a pipemaker locally if possible or send it out to be blasted, totally worth it and the lathe tearout becomes much less of a headache.
I thought about that before but the only local pipe maker thinks he's a "god" (I praise him for his fine work but doesn't like helping others). I don't know any other pipe makers willing to help with that, for a fee of course.
Do you know of anyone willing to blast it for me?
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Kurt Huhn advertises sandblasting services for a fee. : http://www.pipecrafter.com/pipes/tools/sandblasting.php
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
JuanPablo30

Post by JuanPablo30 »

sandahlpipe wrote:Kurt Huhn advertises sandblasting services for a fee. : http://www.pipecrafter.com/pipes/tools/sandblasting.php
Thanks! You've been very helpful. I'll check him out.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

JuanPablo30 wrote:
I thought about that before but the only local pipe maker thinks he's a "god" (I praise him for his fine work but doesn't like helping others). I don't know any other pipe makers willing to help with that, for a fee of course.

I have done a bit of blasting work for people on occasion, the problem usually though is shipping costs so it's mostly local/UK guys that I have helped.
JuanPablo30

Post by JuanPablo30 »

caskwith wrote:
JuanPablo30 wrote:

I have done a bit of blasting work for people on occasion, the problem usually though is shipping costs so it's mostly local/UK guys that I have helped.
Thanks for the intentions. I've seen your work before but didn't realize you were on the other side of the pond. I think I'm going to avoid morta for now and concentrate on briar until I can get a sandblasted. Thank you,

Juan.