Staining

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
jabomano

Staining

Post by jabomano »

I'd like to stain some rusticated estate pipes so that a reddish or burgundy hue can be seen coming through a brown stain. Not a good explanation. :P
What I want is a reddish-brown stain after I buff with tripoli. After I rusticate and after staining with a dark or black I then sand the dark dark stain. Should I stain first with the reddish/burgandy or the brown? Should I sand the rustication every time I stain or just stain the various colors in layers? It seems that if I sand every time I stain the color will be sanded off.

I've included a couple of smooth estate pipes that I've rusticated and stained. These were really beat up when I got them.

Any help will be appreciated and thanks.

Ray
Attachments
edwards-sec-chance.jpg
(64.95 KiB) Downloaded 603 times
tapered-bowl4.jpg
(151.67 KiB) Downloaded 603 times
Ocelot55

Re: Staining

Post by Ocelot55 »

You're over-thinking things. I would sand the pipe, rusticate, stain dark color, rub with denatured alcohol, then stain burgundy. I personally wouldn't buff it at all, but if I did I would use little compound to make sure the crevices don't fill up. Wax heavily and melt the wax in with a heat gun.
jabomano

Post by jabomano »

Ocelot55

Thanks for the reply.

All the best,

Ray
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I would do it opposite of Jessie. I'd stain it the lighter color you want to pull through then stain it black then wipe with denatured alcohol. If it's still not quite the effect you're after you can buff with red tripoli to pull more of the lighter understain through.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
jabomano

Post by jabomano »

Thanks Wayne.