Buffing stuff

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
omar_colocci

Buffing stuff

Post by omar_colocci »

This week I'll buy what I need to do buffing on my first pipe kit. Reminding you that I live in Brazil and things may simply not be called the same way as a direct translation would do, I'm trying to understand a few things to find the products or probable equivalents. Here we go:

- Wheels : which size? I saw that PIMO sells 6" ones. Will cotton wheels do the whole job or do I need a felt wheel for final (dry) buffing or something similar? I'm not sure if I can find muslin wheels, but cotton and felt are 100% sure.

- Buffing compounds: I ordered tripoli from PIMO but I'm not sure how they would name the "diamond white" here in Brazil. I could find on the internet buffing blocks which they claim to be diamond based (also white color) and according to the manufacturer are the finest grit produced. It's intended to polish metal and acrylic. Is it the same thing?

Any help would be great! Thank you guys. :D
Regards,

Omar Colocci
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

- Wheels: in a pinch, you can use cotton wheels for the whole job with good results. For carnuba, I like to use wheels that are spiral sewn, so that the wheel is stiffer, but that's my preference. I also like to use a rather thin wheel for the buffing compounds, to get into the various small areas. For dry buffing, I like to use wheels that are thick.

- Buffing compounds: I'll bet real money that what you found is the same as what we call "diamond white". Go for it.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Most the of the buffing stuff that we use is typically used for metals and plastics. Wood is a strange use for these products. Don't be afraid of them because they are listed for those uses instead of wood.

I wish I knew more about the muslin, flannel, cotton choices, but I honestly do not. I just use what I have found works t o my satisfaction. I don't know what it is! :oops: I hope someone will educate us both!

Tyler