Urethane?

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
AdamInWa

Urethane?

Post by AdamInWa »

Looking through the forums, it seems I sporadically see references to urethane finishes to keep a shine. But it seems the wax route is the standard and most accepted form of finish. Is there a mechanical reason for this? Is it because the urethane prevents drying and breathes less than wax or is it just because that isn't the traditional method for pipes? Are there any other negative side effects of using urethane that I haven't eluded to? Thanks!
Sasquatch

Re: Urethane?

Post by Sasquatch »

Alluded. :wink:

I've used urethane emulsions successfully.

I think it's real easy to go from "shiny" to "fake" with finishes, and high-gloss urethane looks fake and plasticy, and it's not that super easy to apply. Nor in many formulations is it real fast drying. Shellac is dry in minutes, urethanes usually you have to put the thing away for a day.

So it's up to you, you can fool with it, but in a sense you are reinventing a wheel that is already working good.

Personally, I'm of the "less is more" school, I think briar needs to breathe, and super thin shellac based finishes let it do so. So I'll forsake the best looking finish in the industry for the best smoking pipes, if it comes to that.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!