Bowl coating pealing everytime

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
JuanPablo30

Bowl coating pealing everytime

Post by JuanPablo30 »

Hello friends, I've been trying to coat the bowls in my pipes with the sodium silicate/charcoal mixture and the coating doesn't stick to the walls. I've even tried sanding the walls before coating without success. Any thoughts?
PremalChheda

Re: Bowl coating pealing everytime

Post by PremalChheda »

Either your mixture is not formulated correctly or there is something still sticking on the walls that is causing the bowl coat not to attach. Try sanding with p150 grit or less.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
JuanPablo30

Post by JuanPablo30 »

PremalChheda wrote:Either your mixture is not formulated correctly or there is something still sticking on the walls that is causing the bowl coat not to attach. Try sanding with p150 grit or less.
I am mixing 50/50, is this correct? I am also sanding with 150 before the applying with q-tip. Thank you for replying.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

JuanPablo30 wrote:
PremalChheda wrote:Either your mixture is not formulated correctly or there is something still sticking on the walls that is causing the bowl coat not to attach. Try sanding with p150 grit or less.
I am mixing 50/50, is this correct? I am also sanding with 150 before the applying with q-tip. Thank you for replying.
50/50 is not correct and I believe you are missing an ingredient.
Do a search within the forum. This discussion has been covered and there is a wealth of knowledge on this subject. Just search!
JuanPablo30

Post by JuanPablo30 »

baweaverpipes wrote:
JuanPablo30 wrote:
50/50 is not correct and I believe you are missing an ingredient.
Do a search within the forum. This discussion has been covered and there is a wealth of knowledge on this subject. Just search!
Thanks, I know what the 3rd ingredient is, I just forgot to include it. I'll search until I get it right!
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

Casein.
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by sandahlpipe »

Not sticking probably means you haven't sanded thoroughly enough to rough up the surface.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
JuanPablo30

Post by JuanPablo30 »

sandahlpipe wrote:Not sticking probably means you haven't sanded thoroughly enough to rough up the surface.
Thanks Jeremiah.
WillAndersonpipes

Post by WillAndersonpipes »

Is there a reason sodium silicate is used? Is it just a more protective coating than other substances used as adhesives in bowl coatings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Sodium Silicate is used in fireproofing. Its not used primarily an adhesive.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
WillAndersonpipes

Post by WillAndersonpipes »

Oh ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mji.ipour

Post by mji.ipour »

JuanPablo30 wrote:Hello friends, I've been trying to coat the bowls in my pipes with the sodium silicate/charcoal mixture and the coating doesn't stick to the walls. I've even tried sanding the walls before coating without success. Any thoughts?
Do you use liquid sodium silicate ?

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk
mji.ipour

Post by mji.ipour »

sandahlpipe wrote:Not sticking probably means you haven't sanded thoroughly enough to rough up the surface.
Would you tell me other way for coating?

DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Mohammed,
Years ago, I used egg white and powdered charcoal, mixed until it was a thick paste. I then added corn syrup (close to honey in consistency) until it was thin enough to apply.
I searched this forum, and there is a lot of concern about food borne illness and mold affecting these types of organic materials in the coating.
Do a search and make up your own mind.
Some buyers prefer a sanded but otherwise unfinished bowl. If you are selling in a brick and mortar shop, you could leave it up to the customer as to whether they want a coat or not.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
JuanPablo30

Post by JuanPablo30 »

mji.ipour wrote:
Would you tell me other way for coating?

Hello,
I use it and figured out what the problem was. Thanks
JuanPablo30

Post by JuanPablo30 »

DocAitch wrote:Mohammed,
Years ago, I used egg white and powdered charcoal, mixed until it was a thick paste. I then added corn syrup (close to honey in consistency) until it was thin enough to apply.
I searched this forum, and there is a lot of concern about food borne illness and mold affecting these types of organic materials in the coating.
Do a search and make up your own mind.
Some buyers prefer a sanded but otherwise unfinished bowl. If you are selling in a brick and mortar shop, you could leave it up to the customer as to whether they want a coat or not.
DocAitch
Hello, thanks for the reply. I figured it out. My mixture was to thick and I was applying thick coats of it. I don't have the pealing problem any more.