Morta Finish

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
JuanPablo30

Morta Finish

Post by JuanPablo30 »

Hello, I've made a lot of Morta pipes using carnauba wax as a finish. The pipes looks nice and clean with just wax but I'm looking for something that will last shining longer. I've tried shellac, danish oil and I jut don't like the look. Any ideas?
sandahlpipe

Re: Morta Finish

Post by sandahlpipe »

Smooth or sandblast? Smooth morta needs to have pores filled before it can become actually smooth.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
JuanPablo30

Post by JuanPablo30 »

sandahlpipe wrote:Smooth or sandblast? Smooth morta needs to have pores filled before it can become actually smooth.
I'm sorry, I was referring to blasted Morta. I've used carnauba wax and it looks very nice and clean but I want a more permanent finish.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

In that case, I think thinned shellac is about the best you can do. Experiment on scraps with the cut till you get the right thickness and shine that you're looking for. You could try any other kind of finish, but I think shellac is probably the most common way to finish a blast of any kind. You could also use thinned shellac for the first coat and then put a different finish on top of it. Just about any other kind of finish will stick to shellac. Bob Flexner's book "Understanding Wood Finishing" is worthwhile to read about the different options. Most finish options are acceptable for use on pipes as long as you give them enough time to fully cure. Nearly all wood finishes are food-safe once cured.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com