Stain... alcohol or water base ?

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
John_V

Stain... alcohol or water base ?

Post by John_V »

I just finished shaping and sanding my first pipe. Now for the stain, I've seen here that alcohol base is recommended. Because I want to finish this one as soon as possible, I went to home depot and found water based stain. Is there a differance with this type of stain or can I use it as well ?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

No - it is not the same thing. Unless that stain is actually an aniline dye, it may contain stuff that, at the least tastes bad, and might even sicken you.

The "stain" that most pipemakers use is actually a dye. There are a couple different kinds, but aniline dyes are the most common.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

gone
Last edited by Gatorade on Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Some water-based stains contain stuff that *I* wouldn't put on pipes. Your mileage may vary though. Then again, I' scared to death of that kind of stuff, so maybe I'm the wrong guy to ask....
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I have a can of MinWax "Water-Based Wood Stain" in front of me here that I last used to stain a windows seat I built for my wife. While it doesn't list ingredients (or carbohydrate/protein info :) ), but a good 15% of the entire label area is taken up with CAUTIONS and WARNINGS.

I used to know what was in these, in fact I had a binder about a decade ago in college (Architecture/Historc Preservation degree) with all the info on various types of paints and stains. Some of it ugly stuff, and certainly not stuff I'd want to heat up and place near my breathing parts.

Now, granted, it's been over a decade, and formulas may have changed since then - or my memory may have faded. I won't tell you not to use it, but I will say that you need to be careful and be positive of what you're using.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com