Local Supplies

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
mikea

Local Supplies

Post by mikea »

Quick question. What kind of store would customarily stock carnauba wax and the different types of buffing wheels generally used by the pipe-making community. Home Depot probably has the buffing but what about the wax? Thanks
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I got my carnuba, brown trip., & white buffing compound all at Woodcraft. They are local for me and have lots of locations. Check out their website:

www.woodcraft.com
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

bscofield wrote:I got my carnuba, brown trip., & white buffing compound all at Woodcraft. They are local for me and have lots of locations. Check out their website:

www.woodcraft.com
Yep, they are a *great* source for many things, including small carving gouges, chip knives, needle files, hardwoods, etc. There's one in most major cities or in outlying areas.

Best,

Todd
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I order my buffing compounds from Lee Valley tools.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Random- I would try using denatured alcohol rather than isopropyl alcohol.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Random,

As far as I know there is no reason to break up the flakes. Of course, this will facilitate dissolving, but it's not such a big deal that I would risk contaminating it with anything that might be on your hands.

Mixing with Isopropyl is probably the biggest no-no. Isopropyl has an alcohol content of about 45-55%, not nearly enough to use for this application. That may explain the incompleteness of dissolving. So, try some denatured alcohol next time (95-98% grain alcohol) or everclear if you are a purist. That will help you dissolve the flakes much more thoroughly and quickly.

I can't remember the proportions off-hand, but check with shellac.net for that info.

The cloudiness may also be attributed to the kind of shellac that you purchased. I use extra-blonde, or whatever their lightest stuff is. Having never purchased anything from woodcraft, I don't know what they carry, but shellac.net has an excellent selection, the best I've seen by far, great customer service, and quick shipping.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey Random,

Beleive it or not I got my denatured alcohol at Wal-Mart and it was the quart size. I found it where they sell the paint thinner products. I think I paid like $2.50 for it.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

achduliebe wrote:Hey Random,

Beleive it or not I got my denatured alcohol at Wal-Mart and it was the quart size. I found it where they sell the paint thinner products. I think I paid like $2.50 for it.
Yeah, pretty much every hardware store I've ever been in, Ace, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. has it in quart sizes. If you're operating out of a van though, you may just want to go to the local liquor store and get a flask sized bottle of Grain Alcahol, what we call PGA in the south. It's probably only $5 and you can keep it in your pocket at all times if you've no place to store it.

Todd
marks

Post by marks »

Just about any store that sells paint supplies should carry denatured alcohol. Some states do not sell everclear (grain alcohol), but I have successfully used this as well.
pipemaker

Post by pipemaker »

Just a couple of observations.

The Carnuba wax from Woodcraft appears to be a bit harder and more durable than others I have used.

I have had the best results finishing a rusticated pipe by chucking a 1/2" dia. round, stiff bristle brush in the lathe and applying wax with this. It gets into the recesses and levels the wax to a reasonable degree.
I follow this by applying dewaxed shellac ( ultra blonde, thinned to a 1 lb. cut) on top of the wax with a brush. The alcohol appears to disolve the wax and combines it with the shellac, resulting in an even uniform finish.
The gloss can be increased with a second application of shellac if desired.

Mike