Shellac-on-rustic question

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
DMI

Re: Shellac-on-rustic question

Post by DMI »

I think I need to order some more flakes.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Doubt it.

A gallon would do.... um, just calculating here..... roughly 5,675,433.5 pipes. So maybe just mix up half of that, huh?
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

Sasquatch wrote:Doubt it.

A gallon would do.... um, just calculating here..... roughly 5,675,433.5 pipes. So maybe just mix up half of that, huh?
Come on, don't underestimate him just like that! How can you know he won't make 5mil. pipes?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

You're right. I'm an asshole that way sometimes. :thumbsup:
jmoss

Post by jmoss »

Very useful info about shellac :) ..You answered a lot of questions i had...Thank you very much..
Rodneywt1180b

Post by Rodneywt1180b »

I haven't had the opportunity to buy from these guys yet but they have been recommended by other woodworkers if you want to mix your own shellac.
http://www.shellac.net/
They do have a good selection of shellacs that you're not going to find everywhere.
Rodney
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

occasionally I get someone snooping around my shop as to coatings both inside and outside of the bowl. A friend and customer came over the other night and picked up a mason jar that simply states secret SAS SAUCE. He asked "whats this?"I told him it was a neutral static adhesive non polymer, which was proprietary. He carefully put it down like a stick of old dynamite. Who says pipe makers are too serious? Seriously , I have been adding color to my special sauce with good results, lightly sanding at 500 then contrasting.Will post in the future if results meet my expectations
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

nice site Rodney.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

pipedreamer wrote:occasionally I get someone snooping around my shop as to coatings both inside and outside of the bowl. A friend and customer came over the other night and picked up a mason jar that simply states secret SAS SAUCE. He asked "whats this?"I told him it was a neutral static adhesive non polymer, which was proprietary. He carefully put it down like a stick of old dynamite. Who says pipe makers are too serious? Seriously , I have been adding color to my special sauce with good results, lightly sanding at 500 then contrasting.Will post in the future if results meet my expectations

Nice. Proprietary neutral static adhesive non polymers are the best for finishing pipes, I'm pretty sure. :lol: :lol:
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

For Sure !!!
Rodneywt1180b

Post by Rodneywt1180b »

I'll have to remember that if it ever comes up. Doubtful though-this is strictly a hobby for me.
Rodney
JonBood

Post by JonBood »

tritrek wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:The cut is pounds of flake per gallon of solvent.
1 pound = 453 grams
1 gallon = 3,78 litres
So if you count back and forth (I may be mistaken...) a 1 pound cut should be 83,4 grams of shellac for 1 litre of alcohol. So Sasquatch's 5 pound cut would be 417 grams of shellac in a litre of alcohol. No wonder your 50g does nothing... but let me stress, this was just a quick count in the morning and I'm still sleepy :D
No offence but you might have been a tiny bit sleepy and calculated it the opposite way :wink:
Your value of 83,4 would correspond to "dl alcohol/kg shellac" or something..

To get the cut in grams of shellac per litre of alcohol you have to calculate like below.
453 g/3,78 l = 120 g/l.

5 lb cut would be 5*453g/3,78l which roughly would end up in 600 grams of shellac per litre of alcohol.

/Jon
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Perfect!