buffing/waxing

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
bscofield

buffing/waxing

Post by bscofield »

I have some questions about buffing and waxing:

Do you guys do the job with that little stabalizer bar on or off?
How do you keep from throwing the pipe across the room (i.e. the buffing wheel grabbing it and launching it)?? :x
Do you find that when buffing the wheel can some of the stain and can cause the pipe to look uneven?
What type (brand, soft/medium/hard) wheels do you use?

I'm thinking about covering that stabalizing bar with some fabric to limit the dings that I get when the wheel pulls the pipe down into it... I tried taking it off only to find out that I've come to depend on it a whole lot...
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I normally buff using my lathe, with a 8" wheel. However, I'll be moving to a dedicated buffer soon, as soon as I can afford to buy a dual-shaft motor. I say this only because I have no idea what you speak of when you say "stabilizer bar". Do you mean the toolrest on the lathe?

When I buff, the pipe is constantly in motion, and the toolrest gets in the way, so I take it off. Also, when buffing, I wear a set of latex gloves. This helps me grip the pipe, as well as keep the oils and sweat on my hands from getting on the pipe and potentially messing up the finish. Another thing I do is stick my index finger in the tobacco hole - this locks the stummel into my hand and dropping it is nearly impossible.

Ever since I started following Todd's advice regarding buffing, shellac, and so forth, I have never had a problem with the buffing wheel taking off stain. I *strongly* suggest you give it a try. It is here on this board somewhere. The contrast in the grain is 10x better with that method, and birdseye positively pops.

I generally use soft wheels. Flannel or some other soft cotton. This seems to give me the most flexibility with buffing compounds, wax application, and final polishing. They're pretty much whatever wheel happens to be closest to me when I need to buy a new one.

Another thing to be aware of, try not to use too much pressure. That's where the wheel will try and grab the stummel away from you. I've found that faster wheel speed and lighter pressure helped me - but everyone is different and there is no blanket answer for that problem.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
jeff

Post by jeff »

I regarding the stabilizer bar/toolrest, I would remove it. There is no reason to have that in your way. You'll get used to buffing without it soon enough and will most likely find that you like buffing without it much more.

If the stummel is being torn out of your hand with any kind of frequency, you are doing something wrong. That has only happened to me two times ever, so there must be some way for you to alter your buffing technique and speed. Additionally, Todd's method mentioned in another post and referenced by Kurt has revolutionized my finishes. They look incredible now in comparison to my earlier method.

Here are some guidelines that I follow:

Always buff with the stummel below the center point of the wheel.

Never ever feed an edge to the wheel at an angle that will give it the opportunity to grab and chuck it at you or across the room.

Try buffing with your finger in the tobacco hole as Kurt suggested. It is a great way to secure the piece, but it will not correct everything. If you continue to do other things wrong, it may tear your finger off with the stummel!! :o

Early on, I was told to never press the piece being buffed more than 1/8" into the wheel. I tend to vary that to up to 1/4" but never more. The wheel should never wobble. So, if it is wobbling, back off and apply less pressure.

Basically, never apply enough pressure to really slow the motor down. Let the surface speed of the wheel do the work instead of your forearms.

I hope this helps you out.

Jeff
pipemaker

Post by pipemaker »

Can someone direct me to Todd's post on buffing and shellac?

I can't seem to find it. 8O

Thank you,

Mike
Nick

Post by Nick »

ditto!

You know, I saw a ditto machine once, way back in grade school. Messy looking thing!
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Did anyone have any success in finding the post by Todd about buffing and shellacing? I have looked but was unable to find it. I guess I will keep looking.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Bryan, I think it might be in the "for professionals" only section. Not sure though... I don't have access :)
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey Ben,

I know what you mean. :D Somebody would have to be under the influence or just plain crazy to give me access. I am dangerous enough as it is! 8O
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
kbosi

Post by kbosi »

One thing I always do is to wear latex gloves after I sand with 100 grit.
It keeps the oils from my hands from getting on the pipe and it helps to keep the pipe from slipping when buffing.
Kirk Bosi
Bosi Pipes
Http://www.bosipipes.com
Jeffery

Post by Jeffery »

Kirk,

Did you mean 1000 grit?
Just curious... I haven't used any grit under 180...
kbosi

Post by kbosi »

No, Jeff I mean 100.
I start with 60 grit on my disk then 100-180-240-320-400-600 and 1000 on the stem
Kirk Bosi
Bosi Pipes
Nick

Post by Nick »

Do you use all those on your disk? Or just the 60, with the rest by hand?
Jeffery

Post by Jeffery »

OK, gotcha Kirk!

I use 80 on my disk... I suppose 60 will work better (faster) for squaring the block up...

I'll give it a try...
kbosi

Post by kbosi »

Nick wrote:Do you use all those on your disk? Or just the 60, with the rest by hand?
I use up to 400 on disk than sand by hand with 400 again, and than 600 and so on.
Kirk Bosi
Bosi Pipes
Nick

Post by Nick »

Cool. I'd often wondered about the feasability of doing some finer sanding on a disk.
kbosi

Post by kbosi »

Before you sand with a disc at the 320 stage, stain the pipe a med brown.
Than sand off all the stain. This will help you to see that you got all the scratches out. it will cut down your time a whole lot
Kirk Bosi
Bosi Pipes
Nick

Post by Nick »

Cool! Thanks for the tip.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I use that techique to make sure my lines are straight. As you sand away the color you can see where there are little wavy areas and depressions. Once the color is gone you know that they pipe surface is as smooth as possible.