Logo Stamps

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
NathanA
Site Supporter

Logo Stamps

Post by NathanA »

I have been contemplating what to call my pipe making venture and I think I have settled on using my twin daughter's names since mine doesn't have much of a ring to it and my initials are the same as the National Rifle Association. Hence, "L & G Pipes" for Lucille and Grace.

I am not ready to try and sell to anyone but friends and family and those who heard from those friends and family but I am actually getting a backlog of requests to keep up with. My last few pipes have gotten me to a place where I am not embarrassed to claim them as my own and so I wanted to start stamping them. I was thinking of just getting a stamp that says "L & G" in a nice script. I would love to hear some advice from some veteran makers as to whether that is a good idea, or if I should include other info like the date or production number, etc. What are some of the philosophies on what should or should not be stamped onto a pipe?
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
Dixie_piper

Re: Logo Stamps

Post by Dixie_piper »

I'm no one worth listening to, but I have noticed a lot of makers now including a numbering of sorts and the country of origin. Because you never know where your biggest fans may be from 20 years from now searching out the infamous L&G pipes guy :)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Nathan,

I wouldn't go with L&G.

Not because I don't love Lucille and Grace, but it sounds like a discount carpet store, and people will be forever asking on the forums for any info regarding L&G pipes, because there's no identity associated with the initials.

Nothing wrong with Armentrout. Or some other variation of your name. Something that identifies you as the maker.

When you become a rich and famous pipe maker, and you tell people at shows, "I'm Nathan Armentrout.", and they give you a blank look, you don't want to have to explain, "I'm the guy that makes L&G pipes."

Rad
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Tell it to Jeff Gracik, Rad. ???
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

Heh...if you're making pipes like Jeff, you can call your brand L&G, Walmart, or pooponastick...I think people will still know who you are. :p

I agree with Rad. Nothing wrong with just using a last name, especially a unique one.
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

RadDavis wrote:When you become a rich and famous pipe maker, and you tell people at shows, "I'm Nathan Armentrout.", and they give you a blank look, you don't want to have to explain, "I'm the guy that makes L&G pipes."
:lol: If I didn't know better, Rad, I think that might have been slightly sarcastic. While at this point no one in their right mind would be searching for my pipes, it is definitely something to think about. Maybe I'll just go with a stamp of "NA" (you know, not applicable. just kidding). Its not like I am going to be starting a legitimate business anytime soon. I just want to add that little personal touch and mark the pipes as my own.

How about any thoughts on what additional info you guys like to include. The only non-factory pipe I own is a Rad Davis so I don't really know what many of you stamp on your pipes.
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

For awhile I kept track of briar supply on each pipe (Spanish, Algerian, Italian) but that was more for my records/quality tracking than anything else.

I stamp a small HC on the shank of hand-cut stemmed pipes (which is now really all of them), and my initials in a triangle - STB - Triangulated this is also the brand name - Briar, Sweat and Tears. But I haven't pushed the brand because the website is half finished and the fact is everyone knows me as Sasquatch and not as Todd and let's face it, one twit named Todd making pipes is enough, so things will probably stay that way.

I was Sasquatch on pipe boards long before I was Sasquatch the pipe maker, but to do it all again, I might take on a slightly less mist-shrouded name under which to operate a pseudo business. Currently, there is absolutely no link at all between the Sasquatch name and the Briar Sweat and Tears brand-to-be, and that's not ideal. It would be much easier to market under one's own name, as most makers do, or to take a screen name that is your brand, like MrHydePipes.com or whatever the hell Eder calls himself. :lol:

I have been asked by retailers to include a year of production stamp, so that after I die they can say with certainty that the ugly unsold pipes of mine sitting dusty and forgotten are suddenly collectible. Supplies are limited so act now!
Traderbob

Post by Traderbob »

I too have been thinking about a name/stamp for my pipes. I am nowhere near the point where I would try to sell one, but would like to incorporate my name in the stamp. I thought about my initials "BS", but then shoppers would pick one up and say "this pipe is BS" - not exactly the connotation you want!

Hopefully I am going to go with PipeSmith. I think there was a brand under this name some time ago, but the domain name is availible so I am going to go that way! Good luck and keep up the good work!

Bob
My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new. Robert Service
TimGeorge
Site Supporter

Post by TimGeorge »

Make sure and keep it as simple as possible. I still hate stamping personally. I have a nice pipe ready to go and then I mess it up with an offcenter crappy stamping job and have to start sanding again. That makes me almost as mad as when the buffer hurls the finished pipe across the room ....
Regards,
Tim
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I'm with Rad. (I don't think he was being sarcastic.) Use your name.

Selling pipes is a two-part venture: 1. Make a pipe of good quality, and 2. Convince people to spend their money on YOUR pipe. The second half of the equation is at least as important as the first. In this pipe collecting world, one of the major factors in (2) is the reputation and relationships collectors develop with the maker. I would argue that you put yourself at an unnecessary disadvantage if you require collectors to remember an illogical leap from you (the maker) to the name under which you carve.

I speak from some experience here. As I'm sure most here know, I carve under my first and middle names (Tyler Lane), instead of first and last (Tyler Beard). Thankfully, my first name is just unusual enough to keep things straight. As it is though, I still sometime regret not just going with my first and last names. In fact, I still don't have a stamp. :oops: I intend to order one soon though, and I'm tempted to simply make it TYLER and just use the name that has tied everything together for me. It also happens to be unique in the carving world (so far).

Let me also point out that you can get a lot on a stamp and still have it small and legible. You needn't use initials (which I also wouldn't recommend unless, like Rad, that is a convenient acronym that has become your nickname). Sixten, Lars, and Nanna all stamp(ed) their pipes "An Ivarsson Product" written in a circle. It is a small tidy little circle that looks fine.

BTW, I wish my name was Armentrout. (Is that your last name?) If so, it is perfect. It doesn't mean anything, and has a unique and nice ring to it. You can OWN that. Most people have never even heard of such a name. That will be EASY to tie to a brand because it is so unique. Not to mention "trout" is in there, and who doesn't like trout (or at least trout fishing)?!?
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

I agree with Tyler. "I picked up an Armentrout Billiard for a really great price." It's got a pleasant and unique ring to it.
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

Tyler wrote:I'm with Rad. (I don't think he was being sarcastic.) Use your name.
I agree with Rad as well. The part about the "rich and famous" stuff was what I was referring to as sarcastic. Thanks for the kind words everyone. I will do a little more searching and let you know what I come up with.

BTW, I don't consider myself anywhere near ready to go to shows and try to sell to collectors. I know I have a ways to go and don't want everyone thinking I am getting ahead of myself. I just like the idea of claiming my handiwork.
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

Oh and yes, Armentrout is my last name. I was always told it was German but never knew much about my dad's side of the family. Any of the German guys out there want to confirm if Armentrout is in fact German?
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

NathanA wrote:
Tyler wrote: BTW, I don't consider myself anywhere near ready to go to shows and try to sell to collectors. I know I have a ways to go and don't want everyone thinking I am getting ahead of myself. I just like the idea of claiming my handiwork.
Nah, you're not getting ahead of yourself. Always nice to start in a good direction instead of having to overcome an ignorant decision.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

"No actual trout were injured in the making of this pipe."
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Very very rough translation of your name is "Poor Trust" (Armen traut)

I think L+G looks good all of a sudden! LOL
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

I thought that "armen" ment poor and "traut" ment familiar? "vertraut" is trust as a verb.
Anyway....

sence your all talking about stamps. . . where do you buy a good pipe stamp?
Nate

Post by Nate »

Sasquatch wrote:"No actual trout were injured in the making of this pipe."
:lol:
LathamPipes

Post by LathamPipes »

OK nube question, where do you all suggest I get a stamp made?

Ken Latham
Respectfully,
Ken Latham
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Buckeye engraving just did one for SchmidtN and it came out quite good.