Pimo Buffing Wheel Question

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
ScoJo

Pimo Buffing Wheel Question

Post by ScoJo »

On Pimo's website, it lists the Muslin Buff as being for application of tripoli and the SEWN Muslin Buff for application of carnauba wax. From other reading I thought these would be the other way around. Now I'm confused. I was going to get one each of these, but then I got to thinking, what should I use for white compound?

If you were starting with nothing, what would you recommend someone getting? What is the lifetime for these, and have you tried specifically the Pimo discs? I have looked at HD, Lowes, Sears Hardware, etc. and all I have found were smaller, stitched, very firm discs.

Thanks,
Scott
JMB

Post by JMB »

I bought all three buff pads plus the Arbors from Pimo. Use them in the drill press as they (Pimo) list them. Had know troble yet. All 3 still in good shape after about 6 months. Remember not to fast on the RPM's.
JMB
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Some folk recommend more ply than the PIMO buffs. The muslin and sewn muslin from PIMO are only 20 ply each. In talking with quite a few fellows, 40 ply seems to be the preferred thickness. :roll:
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Also, a flannel buff is best for applying carnauba.

Rad
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

LexKY_Pipe wrote:Some folk recommend more ply than the PIMO buffs. The muslin and sewn muslin from PIMO are only 20 ply each. In talking with quite a few fellows, 40 ply seems to be the preferred thickness. :roll:
Two slapped on the same arbor, makes about it about 40-ply. :P

That's how I have my dry buff that I use last of all. It works fine. Interestingly, it is also the only one I use as a 40-ply. No particular reason why, I just have never spent the extra money to double up the others, or change brands to one that has 40-ply to begin with.

I think this buffing thing is more of an art than an issue of tooling. Yes, you need decent buffs, and compound, but the secret to success is more a factor of time spent BEFORE buffing, and then a practiced hand at the wheel. JMHO, of course, but I base MHO on the fact that my wheels are nothing special and mostly worn out, and my finish is quite acceptable. Using the same buffs I started with a few years ago, my finish is now 50x's better than when I started. I have no idea what my buffs are, muslin, flannel, silk, egyptian cotton...I dunno! But I do know better how to use them. I'm sure my efficiency to produce the finish I want could go up, but I wouldn't expect the result to change much.

8)

Tyler
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Tyler

Good insights from an experieced buffer. Point well taken.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com