Buffing Speed...redundant probably

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
PipesByDesign

Buffing Speed...redundant probably

Post by PipesByDesign »

I'm sure this has probably been dealt with, but I don't really have the time to wade through past posts to find the answer. That gets really dangerous for me as I find myself two hours later miles and miles away from my original query...

I've been polishing pipes using a terribly ghetto set up with cheap buffs powered by a drill, and I'm about to move up in the world with the Beall set up. Considering my budget is threadbare (hence the drill), I'm scrounging around for a washing machine motor or something for power, but the ability to speed control isn't likely going to be something I'll be able to have any time soon. So, is it absolutely necessary that carnuba wax is polished below 1000 rpm? Is it kosher to just have one speed for tripoli, white diamond, and carnuba?

If it is, I'm going to try and jury rig a pulley system, but I'd rather spare myself the effort if I can get by at whatever rpm the motor I find produces... I'm holding out for 1725 or whatever the typical 1/2 hp washer motors are.

Thanks.

Jonathan
Sasquatch

Re: Buffing Speed...redundant probably

Post by Sasquatch »

1275 would be fine with most wheel sizes, and you can always reduce with belts and wheels.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

All i did was buy one of those dimmer switches for your light at wal-mart ($5 or less), and just wired it to my bench top grinder. I took off the grinding wheels and replaced them with the buffing wheels. I works perfect! ghetto adjustable speed! :D
Last edited by Boekweg on Fri May 20, 2011 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
PipesByDesign

Post by PipesByDesign »

Thanks Sasquatch. I figured I'd speed control eventually with pulleys, but I gotta wait a while before I can afford a set up which would invariably involve purchasing pillow blocks, etc. I thought about casting my own pulleys (have a homemade used-restaurant-oil foundry) but my set up needs monetary improvement before I can effectively cast something that is actually functional. Being broke is such a downer...ha!

I do have a lathe, but it's a 7 x 10, so it won't handle the Beall buffs. Best bet is finding a junked washer and starting from there. More fun that way, too.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Do it on the lathe. Get a chuck and some arbors and just chuck one buffing wheel at a time.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
bregolad

Post by bregolad »

It also sounds like you could discipline your search techniques to your benefit. Or learn to enjoy how much following the rabbit trail on this forum can teach you :)
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

You have a lathe, make the arbor yourself as I did. I use one motor for both sanding and buffing and have all my different buffing wheels and sanding discs mounted on carriage bolts so that I can quickly change between them.

I actually use smaller wheels than the beall system and even had my midi wood lathe set up for use as a buffer but just wasn't happy with it, so I set up the motor and even have dust collection set up under it.
Pipe Maker in the Making!