keeping an extension un-dyed...

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
DrThunder

keeping an extension un-dyed...

Post by DrThunder »

hey guys, sorry if this has been talked about (I'm sure it has, but maybe I'm just not searching for the right thing, if there's tons of topics please send me a link as you call me a moron :) ) I am going to attempt my first shank extension in the next day or two, and I'd like to keep the dye off of the extension, but would like to shape it smooth with the shank (hence, i think i'd have to glue it to the shank before dying), my question is how do I keep the dye from getting onto the extension? I'm guessing Fiebings Dye will go right thru masking tape, unless i do multiple layers maybe??...is there a way other than being super careful and praying? my only other idea was electrical tape...thanks in advance for the help.

Josh
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Re: keeping an extension un-dyed...

Post by baweaverpipes »

You will do your shaping with the shank, extension and stem all in place. The extension will stay in place. Once you have done your final sanding, remove the extension, stain and proceed accordingly.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Josh, if you use an epoxy adhesive, the dye won't penetrate through it, so all you have to do is stain carefully up to the glue line.

I also like to shellac the non-stained side because if you soak a real thin mix of shellac into the briar it will retard accidental staining. But the caveat is that of course, you can't get excess shellac on the part you WANT to stain!

EDIT: Bruce's answer is even better if you can work it like that.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
DrThunder

Post by DrThunder »

thanks guys for the quick responses...Bruce, If I'm following you right, you shape with it all put together, and without attaching the extention to the shank and it stays? I'll definately try that first, and if it moves too much on me I'll give Sas's advice a shot. Thanks guys. I should have mentioned I'm working with a dremmel, sandpapers, and fingernail files (thanks to numerous suggestions from this site lol).

thanks again...also, if you're curious, I'm doing a briar kit pipe, that I attempted to make a poker-esque shape out of, which I hope to contrast stain with black and Ox Blood fiebings. I got a plateux piece, and have no tools to face it correctly (apparently should have read more on that before ordering the one that looked cooler haha), so I'm filling the space with a short piece of birdseye maple I aquired, and planning on staining that grain black and sanding that off, and leaving it natural colored other than the birdseye...that's the theory anyways lol...kinda a bass-ackwards way of going about it it seems like, but the only way I could think to fill the gap i ended up with between the stem and shank.

thanks again, I'll keep ya posted on my progress...might be a few days, I'm trying to work on stuff in the middle of packing/hopefully changing jobs/and moving lol

Josh