faster-cutting than tripoli?

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

When you say tripoli, I assume you mean red tripoli, since that's standard fare for pipemaking. I used to polish a lot of engine parts, for which I used a yellow/brown tripoli as the first stage. There are several gradations if tripoli, and red falls somewhere in the middle, with orange usually being a bit finer, and green even finer than that. The stuff I used was quite coarse and served to debur and round over anything that was a bit rough from casting. I'm sure that the color codes are not universal however. Try an auto body supply store, and see if you can find what you're looking for.

Todd
abbeypipes

tripoli

Post by abbeypipes »

hallo random
there is a linishing compound comes at different grits, 120 -320 grit used for cleaning rusty tools -check out www.axminster.co.uk for a look
regards abbeypipes
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

random, what do you mean by faster cutting? I suppose I know what you mean by a more coarse or fine compound, but, what's the difference? What different result would each produce on the piece of wood?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Have you got a Sears or Lowes nearby? They usually (I say, 'usually') have a good selection of buffing and polishing compounds. I recently polished up some metal and found that brown tripoli did a good job - but I think, as with buffing pipes, the results are largely dependent upon the equipment and techniques used.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com