Scale Feathers

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
Nate

Scale Feathers

Post by Nate »

For the first time, I tried my hand at rusticating a pipe for a gentleman on another forum. He had a Peterson Killarney B5 that was looking a little drab and the fills were making themselves known. As I usually do, I forgot to get a 'before' picture, but it look much like this one:

He said he liked the Donegal Pete finish, but was open to however I chose to manipulate the finish. I sat down with a dremel-like rotary tool, a myriad of bits and about a half dozen junk ebay 'lot' pipes. After a while I found a technique I liked and thought was fairly handsome. I think it is a cross between scales and feathers and the tactility of it is great! Let me know what you think, this is the result:

Thanks for looking! :D
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Re: Scale Feathers

Post by baweaverpipes »

First we have a Paul Bunyan pencil shank and now I see we have him using his axe on a pipe :?
Nate

Post by Nate »

baweaverpipes wrote:First we have a Paul Bunyan pencil shank and now I see we have him using his axe on a pipe :?
Yeah, I told him to go easy...but...
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Frankly, pictures only do so much. From where I stand, you improved a pretty crappy pipe. And that's saying something. I don't care for that shape at all, not even a little. But you did make it interesting from a finish standpoint, and for that you deserve some congratulations.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Alden

Post by Alden »

Sort of reminds me of rock candy, or quartz crystals
Nate

Post by Nate »

KurtHuhn wrote:Frankly, pictures only do so much. From where I stand, you improved a pretty crappy pipe. And that's saying something. I don't care for that shape at all, not even a little. But you did make it interesting from a finish standpoint, and for that you deserve some congratulations.
Thanks Kurt! I have received mixed reactions so far, which I expected. I think it could use refining.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

KurtHuhn wrote:I don't care for that shape at all, not even a little.
+1

I don't do or like rustication, but for rustication I think it's pretty cool. As Bruce pointed out, I think it made the stem seem utterly huge. To be honest though, all that matters is whether or not the owner likes it.
Nate

Post by Nate »

e Markle wrote:
KurtHuhn wrote:I don't care for that shape at all, not even a little.
+1

I don't do or like rustication, but for rustication I think it's pretty cool. As Bruce pointed out, I think it made the stem seem utterly huge. To be honest though, all that matters is whether or not the owner likes it.
So why do you not like or do rustication? Do you feel it is not a good way to deal with a pipe that has minor flaws? No need to 'cover' minor flaws? You refuse to make pipes with flaws? :D

The owner should receive it tomorrow, but from the pictures I sent, he likes it. We'll see what he has to say after holding it. Thanks for the thoughts.

And yes, that pipe just seems out of proportion from the word go.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Nate wrote: So why do you not like or do rustication? Do you feel it is not a good way to deal with a pipe that has minor flaws? No need to 'cover' minor flaws? You refuse to make pipes with flaws? :D
;) Yep, I refuse to sell an inferior product to my consumers ergo all of my pipes are flawless.
Nate

Post by Nate »

e Markle wrote:
Nate wrote: So why do you not like or do rustication? Do you feel it is not a good way to deal with a pipe that has minor flaws? No need to 'cover' minor flaws? You refuse to make pipes with flaws? :D
;) Yep, I refuse to sell an inferior product to my consumers ergo all of my pipes are flawless.
I guess I need to visit you so I can learn the ways of the Markle. I was going to visit Jeff Gracik and Rad, but yeah I think I'll head to your shop instead. :D