Finishing a sandblast?

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
DanH

Finishing a sandblast?

Post by DanH »

Just finished my first successful sandblast. The blast itself turned out really well. Lots of nice ring grain all the way around.

When I was carving it, my plan was to leave it virgin because I thought that would look sweet with the cumberland mouthpiece, but now that I'm done, I'm not really liking it that way.

Being as this is my first blast, I have a few questions:

- Is it too late to start staining now?
- If not, what is the process for post-stain polish and wax? Do I still hit it with red tripoli and white diamond, or just proceed straight to wax?
- How do I get the buffing compound and/or carnuba down into the nooks and crannies of the blast? And then once it's down in there, how do I make sure that it spreads around and doesn't cake up in the valleys?
- If I skip the polishes and go straight to wax, I'm guessing that I probably want to use a lighter stain than I would on a smooth because I won't be rubbing some of the color off on my wheel. Is that a sound assumption?

My feeling is that I probably want to skip the polishes since it would likely round down some of the craggy-ness of the blast. As for the waxing stage, my best idea so far is to work the wax deep into the stummel by pushing the it into the waxed wheel with a good amount of force, then hit it with the heat gun before proceeding to the buff. Crazy idea, or good solution?

:help:

Dan
RadDavis

Re: Finishing a sandblast?

Post by RadDavis »

Most guys finish their blasts and rusticated pipes with a coat of thinned shellac after staining. No wax needed.

Rad
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

No wax, and pretty much no buffing. It's easy and you can't argue with the results.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
DanH

Post by DanH »

Thanks Rad and Kurt!

Just placed an order with shellac.net for a half pound of blonde dewaxed.

Also read all the previous posts on shellac and it's use, so I think I should be able to muddle through the application.

Dan
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

You shouldn't have any problem. It ain't rocket surgery. :lol:

I buy Zinsers clear shellac at Ace.

Rad
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Pfff it soo shows, too, Rad.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
taharris

Post by taharris »

I have heard of others scraping a block of Carnuba wax across the rough surface to chunk it on and then using a heat gun to melt it.

Has anyone tried this?
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

taharris wrote:I have heard of others scraping a block of Carnuba wax across the rough surface to chunk it on and then using a heat gun to melt it.

Has anyone tried this?
No.

Rad
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Once. Hated it.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

The thing is, carnauba pretty much resembles and acts like a chunk of hard plastic. It won't chunk off rubbing against blasted briar.

Rad
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Thinned shellac to set the stain followed by renaissance wax and a shoe brush, lovely shiny pipes, easy to maintain for the customer.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

taharris wrote:I have heard of others scraping a block of Carnuba wax across the rough surface to chunk it on and then using a heat gun to melt it.

Has anyone tried this?
Maigurs Knets suggested a similar process to me, and I've used it. I just let drops of melted wax fall onto the pipe instead of making a mess. Not bad, but I'm not sure how it will hold up long term. Will the stain wear off on the more exposed areas???
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

e Markle wrote:

Has anyone tried this?
Maigurs Knets suggested a similar process to me, and I've used it. I just let drops of melted wax fall onto the pipe instead of making a mess. Not bad, but I'm not sure how it will hold up long term. Will the stain wear off on the more exposed areas???
It figures you would fall for something like that.

Hope this helps.

Rad
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Has anyone tried this?
I used to do this for rusticated pipes. I could make the pipe look great that way. Then a customer called me about 3 months after he got a pipe and said something was wrong. I got the pipe back, and the once-shiny black finish was now yellow-green! It looked horrible. Somehow the wax went back to opaque like it does while in block form.

I had to reheat the pipe and blot the wax off. It was fine after that.

Bottom line was I used way too much because it was making it look good. If you go this route, don't over do it.
tyler
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

RadDavis wrote: It figures you would fall for something like that.

Hope this helps.

Rad
Tyler wrote: I used to do this for rusticated pipes. I could make the pipe look great that way. Then a customer called me about 3 months after he got a pipe and said something was wrong. I got the pipe back, and the once-shiny black finish was now yellow-green! It looked horrible. Somehow the wax went back to opaque like it does while in block form.

Bottom line was I used way too much because it was making it look good. If you go this route, don't over do it.
tyler
Dear Tyler,
Thank you for your fine contribution to this thread; it was quite helpful. It's interesting how some people are just naturally helpful, while others put so much energy into retarding constructive conversation here. :)
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

e Markle wrote:
RadDavis wrote: It figures you would fall for something like that.

Hope this helps.

Rad
Tyler wrote: I used to do this for rusticated pipes. I could make the pipe look great that way. Then a customer called me about 3 months after he got a pipe and said something was wrong. I got the pipe back, and the once-shiny black finish was now yellow-green! It looked horrible. Somehow the wax went back to opaque like it does while in block form.

tyler
Dear Tyler,
Thank you for your fine contribution to this thread; it was quite helpful. It's interesting how some people are just naturally helpful, while others put so much energy into retarding constructive conversation here. :)
Butt hole.

Just here to help. :P

Rad
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

I've done the "Melt and drip" method to finish pipes waaaay back when. It sucks.

OTOH, if you finish your pipe with shellac you are SEALING THE WOOD AND IT WILL NEVER EVER SMOKE GOOD!!!!!!! AUUUUUUUUGGGHHHH!!!

One of my personal best memories of finish discussion was over on SF, where I made the mistake of explaining how blasts were typically finished, only to get lectured at great volume by a guy telling me everything I was doing was wrong. His pipe collection consisted of a dozen Grabows and basket pipes he'd bought at yard sales and refurbished, but he had a brother-in-law who was a furniture maker so he knew what he was talking about!
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Trever,

What that guy didn't tell you was his brother passed along a secret finishing product to him that is great for pipes. I know this because he sent me some. It was a special non-sealing carnuba. The stuff is amazing, but I promised I'd never tell where to get it.

Tyler
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

I actually have a proprietary finish that I'm not going to divulge here, lest that Rod Davies feller steals the secret and uses it in lieu of Zinkstink shellac.

Shellac! Yuck!

Think I'm kidding? This is where it comes from............it's secretions......it's enough to make one sick, Rod! How dare you put secretions from this hideous beast on a pipe! I understand it can cause belostoma of the indicum and give one shellac-a-nic-nac-paddy-wac of the scrotum sac.