Is it okay to NOT finish a pipe?

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
meathod

Is it okay to NOT finish a pipe?

Post by meathod »

I've gone through a few pipe finishing techniques over the years, but lately I really enjoy just buffing with tripoli and white diamond, then stopping at that point... After a little while, the shine settles into a nice semi-matte that I enjoy much more than a carnuaba wax finish. I don't know what it is, but for my specific designs I just like a more natural look to the wood...

My question, If I were to not finish a pipe, would there be any long term concerns? I suspect that it would be more prone to water damage, and possibly oxidation... I have noticed some of my older pipes have darkened, but i notice this in both finished and unfinished pieces, smoked and unsmoked.

I don't use stain, so sealing the stain isn't a concern for me.

any thoughts?
Take a look at my pipe website!

http://www.dmpipes.com
Massis

Re: Is it okay to NOT finish a pipe?

Post by Massis »

I'd expect, but I'm no expert, that not sealing your pipe (be it with carnauba or lineseed oil or shellac) would have several effects.
The one I'd be worried about the most is that the wood (especially if not stained) will be susceptible to dirty hands gettings stains on it.
taharris

Post by taharris »

Carnauba wax does not seal the wood. It is only a temporary finish which gets rubbed off after a dozen smokes or so. You eventually end up with the mate finish you are talking about anyway.

I see no issues with skipping the carnauba wax.

Todd
Alden

Post by Alden »

Erik Nording "signature" and Savinelli "naturals" are two lines I can think of with no finish applied.
I've smoked both, and they do take on a rich look over time, I've had no problems from either one.
meathod

Post by meathod »

Awesome, thanks!
Take a look at my pipe website!

http://www.dmpipes.com
Leus

Post by Leus »

If you are making pipes for yourself, you can do what you want. If you want to sell them, you have a better chance selling shiny ones. They are sexier for most people.
Bosaiya

Post by Bosaiya »

After hemming and hawwing and finally coming to terms with my current situation I decided to leave my latest pipe unfinished. I've used shellac in the past with good results but am in a bit of a pickle at the moment with my shop far away. I don't think it's necassarily a case of necessity being the mother of invention but I sanded it fine and left it at that. So far it has been taking on a patina similar to clay or meerschaum.

We'll see where it leads.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

It's perfectly acceptable; however, with a few exceptions "natural" finished pipes tend to sell for much less.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Bosaiya

Post by Bosaiya »

wdteipen wrote:It's perfectly acceptable; however, with a few exceptions "natural" finished pipes tend to sell for much less.
I can't imagine my wanting to sell a pipe I've made, much less someone else actually wanting to buy one.
JonBood

Post by JonBood »

Carnauba wax does not seal the wood. It is only a temporary finish which gets rubbed off after a dozen smokes or so. You eventually end up with the mate finish you are talking about anyway.

I see no issues with skipping the carnauba wax.

Todd
Todd, I always wondered about this carnuba getting rubbed off since that was my personal experience also.
How do one maintain the shine of a pipe that has been finished with carnuba?
I mean if a customer buys a glossy finished pipe, won't he be disappointed when the shine/carnuba wears off?
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Not if he's ever had a pipe before. :)

A pipe will stay reasonably shiny if the surface prep before waxing is good. Wax is like a top coat, a final touch. If you are relying on it to "be shiny", your pipe probably doesn't look that great anyway.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!