A+M Stamps

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
caskwith

A+M Stamps

Post by caskwith »

Has anyone been in touch recently with Paul at A+M stamps?

I ordered a bunch a couple of months back and they arrived swiftly and I am very pleased. A few weeks after I ordered another smaller stamp for use on more unusual shapes and pencil shanks since my main stamp will be too large. I paid and recieved confirmation it would be shipping within a week, that was well over a month ago now and I have sent about 3 emails to Paul with no reply. :(
caskwith

Re: A+M Stamps

Post by caskwith »

Ignore that, Paul has been in touch.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

I already ignore you.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

e Markle wrote:I already ignore you.
Ain't it fun to ignore an ignoramus?
Much like I do with you, eRemarkable :lol:
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

e Markle wrote:I already ignore you.
Who said that?
Archer

Post by Archer »

Without getting into ones personal business, how much do you guys find that stamps run pricewise on average with A&M?
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Depends on what you get on your stamp. They start around $50.

Rad
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I think I paid just shy of $500 in total for all my stamps.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

IIRC, when I ordered mine it was a base of $65 plus $5 per letter.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

e Markle wrote:IIRC, when I ordered mine it was a base of $65 plus $5 per letter.
Yeah that sounds about right. I ordered a circular logo, a "hand made in england" a simple Askwith for the smaller pipes and a set of small numbers. I am pretty happy with the outcome and they followed my designs very well.
Archer

Post by Archer »

caskwith wrote:I think I paid just shy of $500 in total for all my stamps.
Did overseas ship play into that amount a whole lot, or was that just stamp money?
billiard

Post by billiard »

My stamp, which is my avatar, was $50 plus $7 shipping for $57 total.

Newcarver, If I may be so bold as to add more: this may or may not apply to you personally but it did for me.... lemme quote the Sas from a different thread on stamps:
Sasquatch wrote:I think keeping it simple is the right way to go. There's nothing more comical than a guy who has made 3 pipes stamping "Diamonde Supremo" or some such thing when it's still obviously an amateur effort. Grading really only makes sense if you have a certain amount of experience, in my opinion.
For me, and where I am at, a simple little stamp is all I need, so I saved money and got something basic. If I ever reach the level of the other gents who have posted in this thread I can buy a new, and additional stamps, but for now BB is all that I need (and some would argue more than I need!).

PS - though I think I might call whatever it is I that I make next: "Diamonde Supremo" :D
Archer

Post by Archer »

billiard wrote:My stamp, which is my avatar, was $50 plus $7 shipping for $57 total.

Newcarver, If I may be so bold as to add more: this may or may not apply to you personally but it did for me.... lemme quote the Sas from a different thread on stamps:
Sasquatch wrote:I think keeping it simple is the right way to go. There's nothing more comical than a guy who has made 3 pipes stamping "Diamonde Supremo" or some such thing when it's still obviously an amateur effort. Grading really only makes sense if you have a certain amount of experience, in my opinion.
For me, and where I am at, a simple little stamp is all I need, so I saved money and got something basic. If I ever reach the level of the other gents who have posted in this thread I can buy a new, and additional stamps, but for now BB is all that I need (and some would argue more than I need!).

PS - thought I think I might call whatever it is I that I make next: "Diamonde Supremo" :D
HEHE! :lol:

Damn that Sas, he has a way with words... :P

I agree, I am nowhere near "Maestro Erico" or anything like that! I DO want a simple thing to put my initials or whatever on them though. I think "OoS" for "Out of the shavins" would be appropriate since my pipes look like they are always one step from sawdust!!

HOWEVER, That said...thanks for the insult buddy!!!!

JK!!!

I was curious what these things run, because if I can make a custom circle design thingy affordably now, might as well go ahead and do it while I can afford it! Turns out, I think I'll wait on the complex one and go for somthing simple as well!

I could use regular Harbor Freight number/letter stamps for the year and number as well as initials "CEA" but that would require multiple taps, presses, or whatever poison would work best...probably not the best for pipe shanks...Ive seen the havoc that could wreak!!

Dont worry boys...your pipes will be classics before mine will!!!! :notworthy:
billiard

Post by billiard »

Newcarver wrote:HOWEVER, That said...thanks for the insult buddy!!!!

JK!!!
I don't think you took my comment as an insult, and I believe you meant the above in good humor (based on the JK), but just to be safe: No insult was meant at all to you, or your pipes, I was just relating my very recent experience.

(no need to follow up to this comment, I just wanted to be sure there was no miscommunications/hard feelings)
Archer

Post by Archer »

billiard wrote:
Newcarver wrote:HOWEVER, That said...thanks for the insult buddy!!!!

JK!!!
I don't think you took my comment as an insult, and I believe you meant the above in good humor (based on the JK), but just to be safe: No insult was meant at all to you, or your pipes, I was just relating my very recent experience.

(no need to follow up to this comment, I just wanted to be sure there was no miscommunications/hard feelings)
I know Bill (if may be so bold)...if I didnt respect your work I would have just ignored you!!!

Thats the only thing about this medium or writing in general...there is no way to communicate truly the humor that I apply all my comments with!
Growley

Post by Growley »

I totally agree with the fact that we who have yet to master the skills to make truly amazing pipes shouldn't be marking them with audacious stamps touting the magnificence of the pipe.

However, there is something to be said for simple marketing. Having been in sales most of my life, I have an overbearing sense of presentation and branding. To most, if you put two identically crafted pipes in front of a buyer at the same price, and one had a tasteful stamp and one didn't, I'm willing to bet the one with the stamp would go first. It gives it identification. That brand identification is important. If you were telling a friend that you had a great burger the other day but you couldn't remember the name of the place that you got it because you never saw a brand, the likelihood of that friend finding and buying that burger for himself is diminished.

Another case in point, early on I bought a Butz Choquin pipe, stamped (BC). I couldn't even pronounce Butz Choquin (still can't), but I knew I had a BC pipe. And when my friends asked I told them I had a BC. My other non branded pipes were always presented as, "here's 'another pipe' I have".

Tyler made a good point about selling pipes, we new carvers have to start sometime if we want to sell them at all. We just need to be aware that they will still most likely need improvement and hence charge a reasonable price for them. There's no harm in my opinion in putting a brand on them on the way out the door. I plan on marking my firsts GRR for "Growley Reject" admitting that I made it, but highlighting the fact that it could be better somehow.

Anywhoo, there's my 3 cents.
Archer

Post by Archer »

Youre a poet and dont know it... :lol:

I understand marketing, and I believe a re saying that it should be as much a part of business planning as the business plan itself, its integral. I couldnt tell you where my pipes came from except the ones I have made and yours...

Thats why I said if I can afford to create a brand now, why not? Apparently I cant afford it...GAH!!! Off to harbor freight... :lol:...gonna have to redneck sumptin...

Speaking of Sas...wheres he at...he usually appears at the mention of his name!!!
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Newcarver wrote:
caskwith wrote:I think I paid just shy of $500 in total for all my stamps.
Did overseas ship play into that amount a whole lot, or was that just stamp money?
No I think I paid about $10 shipping for each batch (I ordered another stamp after I realised my mian stam would not be suitable for pencil shanks)
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I'm here. I'm just shamed because Askwith has such a monster pile of stamps, and he throws 500 dollars around like it's coffee money. Probably found it in his jeans.

My stamp is gonna be "Briar Sweat and Tears You Bitch and Don't Forget It!" So far I have "B"
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Nate

Post by Nate »

Sasquatch wrote:I'm here. I'm just shamed because Askwith has such a monster pile of stamps, and he throws 500 dollars around like it's coffee money. Probably found it in his jeans.

My stamp is gonna be "Briar Sweat and Tears You Bitch and Don't Forget It!" So far I have "B"
:lol: