First Rustication Attempt

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
Archer

First Rustication Attempt

Post by Archer »

This was an old cheapo pipe bought off Amazon. I gave it to my dad to try so I could convert him from cigs to pipes. After awhile the finish started bubbling off...he was hot-boxing the hell out of it.

Anyway this was my first try at rustication. I used the method shown on the Blakemore briars video on YouTube, which is basically a drill bit on the lathe. I don't have any alcohol based fiebings yet, so I used minwax red mahogany,poured some denate alcohol on it and lit it up. I buffed with some jewelers rouge and white diamond. I don't have any carnuba yet so I just rubbed on a spit coat of OB's shine juice. I do not have the proper wheels for buffing yet so I was just using the El cheapo wheels that came with the harbor freight set I posted about in another post.
I do have some wheels proper en route.
Anyway...here it is...

and

Thanks for looking!

Edit- The wood is Rosewood for those wondering.
pereu

Re: First Rustication Attempt

Post by pereu »

Hi Newcarver,
I rusticate with the help of a DEREML. There are a lot of possibilities the tools to apply. Here some examples:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Greetings from Graz
Peter
Archer

Post by Archer »

Thank you! Those are very nice. I also like your Roma No.3 Pipe very much! I have a dremel, but this was something I saw and wanted to try real quick.
Growley

Post by Growley »

pereu wrote:Hi Newcarver,
I rusticate with the help of a DEREML. There are a lot of possibilities the tools to apply. Here some examples:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Greetings from Graz
Peter
Peter, I really like these samples. I've not rusticated anything yet but am anxious to see if I can get results like yours here.
Growley

Post by Growley »

Newcarver, I think you did a great job for a first attempt.

So to get your dad from cigs to pipes you could get him used to sticking the cigars end down in the bowl of his pipe and have him smoke them that way. After time you can start removing his cigars and put some pipe tobacco in there. Maybe he'll never notice. Ok, that was a bad joke, but I needed a transition to this question: Have you ever seen someone smoke cigars in their pipes? I did once and it was one of the oddest things I've ever seen.

Nice job on the rustication. I home my first turns out as nice.

Brian.
Archer

Post by Archer »

Growley wrote:Newcarver, I think you did a great job for a first attempt.

So to get your dad from cigs to pipes you could get him used to sticking the cigars end down in the bowl of his pipe and have him smoke them that way. After time you can start removing his cigars and put some pipe tobacco in there. Maybe he'll never notice. Ok, that was a bad joke, but I needed a transition to this question: Have you ever seen someone smoke cigars in their pipes? I did once and it was one of the oddest things I've ever seen.

Nice job on the rustication. I home my first turns out as nice.

Brian.
Thanks very much! I have been learning a lot from this forum and YouTube!

So, if one typically pokes a hole in the end of the cigar to make a smoke hole, how does one determine the correct angle coefficient for lining up the poked hole to the pipe hole? Sounds complicated and I bet its just asking for ridicule...lol. :shock:

I should have been clearer. Cigarettes. I got him started on cigarettes so I hope to reverse my bad influence somewhat less drastically by getting him to use pipes instead. I quit smoking cigarettes and replaced it with pipes, its all potentially carcinogenic but I did hear about a study that says pipe smokers live 2 years longer than non smoking counter parts.... :lol:

It isn't my intent to open up a health science debate about inhaling versus not here. :roll:

What you said is interesting to think about non the least!
JonBood

Post by JonBood »

Peter, how did you achieve the third finish from the left in the top row with the dremel? What tool did you use?
They all look really nice!

Best regards Jon
pereu

Post by pereu »

Hi Jon,
yes, I do. I use the tool with the number 11 on the following foto:
I use the edge only.
The foto shows all the DREMEL-tools I use.

Herer the rest of the description, sorry for my bad english!

1. The pliable wave of DREMEL is inalienable for me, because the holds of the whole device are too strenuous for me, particularly at very long works.
2. The sandpaper rollers are my most important tools. They are two-part, the roller holder and the interchangeable rollers. There is her in fine and coarse sandpaper (2a + 2b). Care! If the rollers are overheated, melts the rubber which stretches the paper roller, and closes with the same.
3. The same with smaller diameter. I work the coarse with the bigger (2) and later start I thinner for the precision works. There are also them in roughly and well (3a + 3b)
4. Ball drill roughly (to the rustication)
5. Ball drill extra-fine (to the rustication)
6. Ball drill well (to the rustication)
7. To deepen zylinder greaver, for the finest works or rustication. Even if one wants to make sharp edges of rustication.
8. Disc drill for the bit
9. To fan out cylinder drill around the bite slit.
10. I use this drill to the reaping of wooden parts with radius device. Less useful, but well if one has him. He mills rather hard.
11. I use this "drill of violence" for special rustications.
12. The small site foreman's disc for inaccessible places with the site foreman. Care apply only softly, very firmly (hard)!
13. My Dremel was delivered with only one tool version. This set has 4 tool holders with different diameters beside the wrap mother.
14. Brushes. For brushing only from brass started because Iron-dust (rusts) in the wood oxidised and generates spots.
15. I use of new thing really the sanding disks to the sharpness of my mini-lathe tools. Works around classes better than one would expect.

Greetings from Graz
Peter
1FatBastard

Post by 1FatBastard »

Hi Peter

Nice rustications, which tool did you use for No. 2. I like the leather look of it.

Thanks.
Alex

pereu wrote:Hi Newcarver,
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Greetings from Graz
Peter