Lathe turned bowl finish

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
TRS
Site Supporter

Lathe turned bowl finish

Post by TRS »

Relative newbie to the lathe question; I'm working on a rhodesian for the PITH and I was able to successfully turn the top portion of the bowl. I'm working on sanding the bottom and shank after wheel shaping and noticed how smooth the turned top looks in comparison. What grit should I start with on the turned portion? I'm on 120 for the rest of the stummel right now but it seems like that would be going backwards for the top...? Thanks

Tim
caskwith

Re: Lathe turned bowl finish

Post by caskwith »

320 is usually a good grit in these kinds of situations, aggressive enough to remove material but not so much that it will leave heavy scratches. In future, sand the top while still on the lathe, no headaches later on then :)
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

caskwith wrote:320 is usually a good grit in these kinds of situations, aggressive enough to remove material but not so much that it will leave heavy scratches. In future, sand the top while still on the lathe, no headaches later on then :)
Good call, and thanks :D
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Spray the pipe with water between grits to raise the grain.

TJ
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

ToddJohnson wrote:Spray the pipe with water between grits to raise the grain.

TJ
Todd, being a newbie, I have read many posts that have said that water is death to briar. I have been spraying with alcohol so as to raise/see grain. Is water better? Or just less expensive? I know the alcohol evaporates quickly, but water not so much.

Just wondering. If water is just as good, would just as soon use water and not the alcohol.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I'm pretty sure water isn't death to briar. If it is, I saw a murder yesterday. ;)
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

Tyler wrote:I'm pretty sure water isn't death to briar. If it is, I saw a murder yesterday. ;)
Damn, better report it immediately or you may become an accessory after the fact! :D

Now I will have to go and do a search. My faulty memory seems to recall it was Kurt that said that.
sam a

Post by sam a »

yeah... i spray my pipes between grits with water all the time, and they seem fine. hell from what i understand Bo Nordh would wet sand his pipes in a sink... and they didn't suck.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I do the final sanding of my pipes with water in a washing up bowl, it was mainly to make sanding the stems easier but I find it works great on the briar as well.
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

Well, the ayes have it then, and this is great as water is a hell of a lot cheaper than alcohol. Especially when you use Ketel One to spray your blocks of briar!
sam a

Post by sam a »

wmolaw wrote:Well, the ayes have it then, and this is great as water is a hell of a lot cheaper than alcohol. Especially when you use Ketel One to spray your blocks of briar!
FWIW vodka is about half water... so you've already been spraying them with water. expensive water cut with alcohol but water still.
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

sam a wrote:
wmolaw wrote:Well, the ayes have it then, and this is great as water is a hell of a lot cheaper than alcohol. Especially when you use Ketel One to spray your blocks of briar!
FWIW vodka is about half water... so you've already been spraying them with water. expensive water cut with alcohol but water still.
I was kidding, guess I should have put a smiley to denote sarcasm.

I have, though, been using denatured alcohol and though a hell of a lot cheaper than Ketel One, it is still a hell of a lot more expensive than water!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

wmolaw wrote: Now I will have to go and do a search. My faulty memory seems to recall it was Kurt that said that.

It doesn't seem like something I would say - but I've said dumber things in the past.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

wmolaw wrote:
sam a wrote:
I was kidding, guess I should have put a smiley to denote sarcasm.

I have, though, been using denatured alcohol and though a hell of a lot cheaper than Ketel One, it is still a hell of a lot more expensive than water!
Not necessarily. The "I only drink bottled water" idiots will, in all likelihood, buy bottled water to spray on pipes. They will be certain that tap water is way too polluted to use on pipes while sanding. bob gilbert

P.S. This is not sarcasm.
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

LOL, you may be 100% right! I assure you, though, tap water it is here! :wink:
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Tap water?! Hell, I'm only using water from melting snow from the top of Mt. Everest. Otherwise you get tons of nasty minerals in your briar and believe you me, it may as well be murder it's such a crime! :P
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Nothing but glacier water for me.
Seriously tho, I wet-sand stain off in a sink all the time with no ill effects to me or the briar. Geez, it's only water not old crankcase oil.
No water after the final grit or you'll do it all again.
Denatured alky is good for cleaning the briar of skin oil or whatever before stain application. Like T-J says, wear gloves.
The stains we all use are in the family of non-grain raising aka NGR.
Using water between grits is widely done in all sorts of wood finishing operations.
Chas.