Tandy Leather Finish for Briar Stain

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
kvonk

Tandy Leather Finish for Briar Stain

Post by kvonk »

From my 20 minute foray into belt making back in the mid 70's I still have an old can of Neat-Lac leather finish . It contains Toluol. Harmful or fatal if swallowed. I won't be drinking it. Harmful vapors, too. It's old but intact. I put some on a piece of briar and it really brought out the grain and looks really nice.

Anyone know if this stuff is okay to use as a finish without resulting in death or other types of bio-destruction? I'm new to this pipe work and have yet to get to the part of the show that has me buying Fiebings stains etc.

Also, how do the stains PIMO sells compare to the Fiebings products? Thanks!
d.huber

Re: Tandy Leather Finish for Briar Stain

Post by d.huber »

I just bought some Fiebings but haven't used any yet, but I did use PIMO dyes on my first pipe and the stain turned out pretty ok. you can check it out here: http://www.pipemakersforum.com/

As far as the toxic dye goes, I don't have enough experience to say with certainty, but anything that could cause death is something I wouldn't put on a pipe.

Just my 2 cents. Hope this was helpful!
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Well denatured alcohol is harmful or fatal if swallowed, but we put it on our pipes. :P

That stuff with toluol (whatever that is) probably wouldn't be harmful to the smoker if it was used on the outside of a pipe. My concern would be what it smells like when it gets hot, since it probably doesn't totally evaporate like alcohol does.

Rad
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

RadDavis wrote:Well denatured alcohol is harmful or fatal if swallowed, but we put it on our pipes. :P

That stuff with toluol (whatever that is) probably wouldn't be harmful to the smoker if it was used on the outside of a pipe. My concern would be what it smells like when it gets hot, since it probably doesn't totally evaporate like alcohol does.

Rad
See, that's why it's good to listen to those with experience. :P

That is an excellent point, Rad, and I honestly hadn't taken that into consideration. Where's the foot-in-mouth smiley when you need one?

This'll do.

http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
taharris

Post by taharris »

Toluol is the old fashioned name for toluene, which is a flammable solvent (just like ethanol) and it is toxic if you ingest it (just like denatured ethanol), but it also evaporates and leaves no trace on the pipe (just like ethanol).

So, in my humble opinion, it is probably fine to use for the outside of pipes.

I don't imagine you would fair any better if you drank Febings. :shock:

Todd
andrew

Post by andrew »

one for me, one for the pipe :shock:
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

taharris wrote: but it also evaporates and leaves no trace on the pipe (just like ethanol).

Todd

No worries then. See I didn't know that Toluol was the old fashioned name for Toluene. But I don't know what Toluene is either. :lol:

Rad
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

What did you think tolua nuts give us Rad, pizza maybe??
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
kvonk

Post by kvonk »

Thanks for the feedback. I'm gonna apply it to one of my pipes. If it kills me, I'll post a warning for you folks.
taharris

Post by taharris »

RadDavis wrote:No worries then. See I didn't know that Toluol was the old fashioned name for Toluene. But I don't know what Toluene is either. :lol:

Rad

Methyl Benzene.

Hope this helps. :P

Todd
JonBood

Post by JonBood »

Be careful to have good ventilation.. It's taken out of use like many other chemicals for a good reason;)
DMI

Post by DMI »

Just read this one, the old Tandy Neat-Lac is a Toluene/Shellac blend and if I remember is nearly clear, they also did it as an aerosol. The new version is a water based milky fluid that is nowhere near as good as the old stuff.

If you buy Fiebings Institutional you can drink it to your hearts content.

David.
Alden

Post by Alden »

I knew a guy in High School that huffed an entire gallon of Toluene. I remember the joy and ecstasy on his face the day he bought that gallon of aircraft glue.... from the shop teacher no less.
That gallon of glue lasted him most of his junior year, but he lived for at least a few more years that I know of.... I assume he's dead by now, or at least quite stupid. Who knows, he might have gone into politics.
DMI

Post by DMI »

Mate of mine drank 100ml of amyl nitrate, died in a minute or so. :(

David.
OregonCustom

Post by OregonCustom »

My dad use to pour Toluene into his dragster....by the gallon! Used as an Octane booster.

Nasty stuff. Always had a 55 gallon drum of it in the garage as a kid, along with MEK, Acetone and a few others.
Not sure I want my hobby to turn into my job largely because I grow to hate my job....