Siphon fed pencil blaster?

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
caskwith

Siphon fed pencil blaster?

Post by caskwith »

Anyone know where I can find one or if they even make them? Every search I have done for micro or pencil blasters in the UK has been pressure fed which is no good for my system.
oklahoma red

Re: Siphon fed pencil blaster?

Post by oklahoma red »

A Google search on this side of the pond under "micro sandblaster" turned up a lot of stuff.
There are several brands of so-called "air erasers" that are fashioned after air brushes with a gravity feed container of micro grit.
The list goes up from there to small cabinet units with micro nozzles.
My gut feeling is that the air erasers may be too small but then again I'm not sure of exactly what you are trying to do.
Chas.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Kurt posted a rather glowing review several years ago of one he got. I think it was from Cyclone.

Rad
andrew

Post by andrew »

Let me know what you find. I'll hopefully be in the market for blasting equipment this summer.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Er, don't bother.

A few (several?) years ago I got one from Cyclone.

Now, it should be noted that I use Cyclone cabinets and siphon guns and love both. I feel their cabinets are excelent, and the guns they offer are excellent quality.

The pencil blaster, however, is not suited for blasting pipes unless you have about a week to dedicate to the endeavor. And all of your sanity.

The problem is physics, and the Bernoulli Principle specifically - along with line resistance for airlines small enough to feed a 1/16" nozzle. Long story short, you can't get enough air, and thus enough velocity, to get the media up to working speed. Pressure blasters don't depend on Mr Bernoulli to provide media speed, and are a different animal altogether.

But, if you're looking to bead blast various parts prior to final treatment (or as final finish, in the case of knives) that pencil blaster is great.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Syphon fed pencil blasters don't work. You have to have a pressure pot.

TJ
andrew

Post by andrew »

ToddJohnson wrote:Syphon fed pencil blasters don't work. You have to have a pressure pot.

TJ
Then I'll be skipping the pencil blaster for now. Thanks.
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

I've been looking for an easy to setup good pressure pot for this exact purpose. I was planning on having both guns in the same cabinet, large diameter for initial blast and then a detail pencil for finishing. Any suggestions for a particular pressure pot?
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

I know a company who makes them (bought mine there and I'm very happy with it) but they're in Europe- Dentalfarm, from Turin in Italy. I have a friend who works there, I could ask if they have a US dealership.