Light Staining

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
brurobas

Light Staining

Post by brurobas »

Good morning,

I am finishing a new pipe and i would like some advice from more experienced pipemakers.

I want to maintain the pipe's natural color but i would also like to highlight the grain the best i can.

Whats would bem the best way to do this using Fiebing's dyes?

Is it possible to use Chocolate, sand it off and the polish?

Regards

Bruno
Last edited by brurobas on Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Re: Light Staining

Post by baweaverpipes »

brurobas wrote:
I want to maintain the pipe's natural color but i would also like to highlight the grain the bestial i can.

Regards

Bruno
There are only two pipe maker's I know that could help you be bestial with your pipe, Rod Davies and eRemarkable.
Personally I find their approach to being bestial, with pipes, disgusting.

Hope they can help.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

That should work. It really depends on how natural you want the finish to look. When I want a slightly contrasting grain I use light brown. Some experimentation will be the biggest help.
brurobas

Post by brurobas »

baweaverpipes wrote:
There are only two pipe maker's I know that could help you be bestial with your pipe, Rod Davies and eRemarkable.
Personally I find their approach to being bestial, with pipes, disgusting.
Damn IPHONE autocorrect text.

:D
JonBood

Post by JonBood »

It feels like any highlighting of the grain would bring a slight overall color change to the pipe, right?

In other woodworking at least, using an oil (like danish or linseed oil) would bring out some grain, although it will darken the color of the wood slightly. Like Ocelot 55 wrote, a light brown contrast stain might also work for you. I've done it on some pipes with a rather maintained color, but yeah..i guess it depends on exactly what you are after=)
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

brurobas wrote:Good morning,

I am finishing a new pipe and i would like some advice from more experienced pipemakers.

I want to maintain the pipe's natural color but i would also like to highlight the grain the best i can.

Whats would bem the best way to do this using Fiebing's dyes?

Is it possible to use Chocolate, sand it off and the polish?

Regards

Bruno
Hey Bruno,
I can't call myself an "experienced" pipe maker, but I'll offer you what I can. You can absolutely take a stain off in the way you mentioned. Take some chocolate, sand it off with a higher grit (I use 500 or 600), then slap some yellow or whatever lighter color you want on top. Just put ONE coat of the lighter color on or you'll muddy the colors up. I also use a different part of the pipe cleaner as I'm applying the top stain so it stays as clean as possible.

Your post makes it sound like you're just going to put the chocolate understain on without anything else. Personally, I don't find that attractive, but whatever floats your boat. If you want more of a virgin finish that just highlights the grain, you might try something lighter like buckskin or british tan.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

In short, yes you can.

That's chocolate, scraped back hard.

If you want lighter yet, go to an orangey stain (Castello orange) or a buckskin or tan.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
brurobas

Post by brurobas »

Tks for the answers guys.

I stained it chocolate and sanded it back.

After that i applyed buckskin and the result is in my new post in the gallery.

:)