Applying Shellac

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Re: Applying Shellac

Post by SimeonTurner »

taharris wrote:
SimeonTurner wrote:I dip my pipes in lacquer. I find the bowl coating the laquer provides is far superior to charcoal etc, and I get a nice even coat on the outside of the bowl.

I believe Bo Nordh used the same technique, if I am not mistaken.

I hope this helps make things unclear.
Is that safe to smoke? Does the laquer impart any flavor to the first few smokes?

Todd
Yes, the lacquer imparts a sweet candied flavor, similar to the taste of a blow pop. It's delicious, especially if you enjoy bubblegum flavored tobacco.

It also gives you a really sweet buzz. Ernie Markle is well known for having gone weeks at a time riding a sweet, sweet lacquer high. It's what makes him so mellow.

BTW...none of what I have just typed is trues in any way. Please don't lacquer your pipes.

Hope this helps
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

Yeah dawg... but waiting for it to dry and smoking it takes too long for me. You get the same results if you just drink it. Might want to pound some water afterwards... a day and a night later the throne might become an uncomfortable place to be.

please don't thin down shellac with water
Hello, I'm #1312.
That's a really big number.
Leus

Post by Leus »

taharris wrote:
SimeonTurner wrote:I dip my pipes in lacquer. I find the bowl coating the laquer provides is far superior to charcoal etc, and I get a nice even coat on the outside of the bowl.

I believe Bo Nordh used the same technique, if I am not mistaken.

I hope this helps make things unclear.
Is that safe to smoke? Does the laquer impart any flavor to the first few smokes?

Todd
A nice, mellow flavour, specially when the flames start to go up. Bubbling and tearing of the finish on the bowl surface only adds to the personality of your pipe.

Yes, he is joking.
taharris

Post by taharris »

Alright, you got me.

I'm not even going to try to defend myself. :oops:

Todd