Sanding Materials

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
Will_Branch

Sanding Materials

Post by Will_Branch »

Hi folks. I appreciate the pipe makers contributing here.

Short Intro:
I have finished one pipe and almost finished a second, and may start cutting out some other shapes. I had been collecting equipment and materials for some time, posted a few questions on the Knox board, then decided I was not going to ask anymore questions or look at any other gadget until I made a pipe and smoked it. So, I think I have found something creative that I can do with my hands, that I can enjoy and that is a chalenge! Once I get the shanks / bits looking a bit better I'll post some photos. Maybe one day I can get to the level that I can offer them for sale.

On to my question... Where do you guys get the really fine grit sand paper? If I look hard locally, I might be able to find some 400 grit. I may have seen 600 grit before, but can't seem to find any now - not to mention 1200 grit.

Is there a brand that you prefer?

Also, along the sanding lines... Does anyone use cork blocks and glue the sand paper to make custom sanding blocks? I was thinking of trying to find some cork, make some custom shapes and gluing the fabric backed sanding "paper" to them to help in fine tuning / the stummel. I've been using foam sanding blocks for this purpose on the two pipes I have made so far, but you can't always put in enough force to make them the shape you want in tight nooks between the bowl and shank. Especially to remove band saw cuts :oops: :wink: .

Does anyone here use sanding strips or sanding cord? If so, what have you used?

Anyone try using manicure sanding blocks? Any ideas what those grits are, they usually don't say from the descriptions I have seen.

Thanks in advance for any help / advice you can offer!

Will in NC
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Hey Will,

I'm really glad you joined us inthe forum.

For really fine grit sand paper, look at auto parts stores. Especially ones that stock everything for painting cars. Most of the local auto stores in my area have small packages of high grit paper, but it is expensive and only comes with 3 or 3 small sheets. One store in town stocks the full-sized sheets though, as it is stocked for auto body work. You can of course, find the anything you want online. I prefer the 3M wet/dry paper.

I have never made any cork sanding blocks, but I have used finger nail files. Sally's Beauty Supply has all sorts of varieties of sizes and grits of such sanding boards, and they can be washed file long life and also cut to shape for sanding odd areas.

I don't use strips or sanding cord. When I sand I cut the paper roughly into 3" square, the tri-fold the paper resulting in a 1"x3" strip. Then, as the paper becomes fouled, I can flip it and re-fold it until all three sides are used. I have found that the tri-fold makes for a thicker, eaiser to handle piece of paper, and having the sand on the backside of the paper also makes it easy to hold and handle.

Again, glad you joined the forums, and keep asking questions.

Tyler
kbosi

Post by kbosi »

Kirk Bosi
Bosi Pipes
Http://www.bosipipes.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I've recently discovered something called Micro Mesh. It's a three-ply construction with backing, soft cushion, and abrasive crystals. It comes in grits from 1500 to 12000, and lasts a *long* time. It's expensive on a per-sheet basis, but since it lasts so long (and is rinseable/cleanable with water) it more than pays for itself. I usually skip the 600 grit paper and go right to 1500 Micro Mesh (they say the 1500 is about the same as 600 paper) and then go up from there until I get the shine I want. I actually discovered this looking for soemthing to get plastic shiny again. It really works wonders. Just be sure to keep it clean, once it clogs, it's difficult to un-clog it.

I usually get it here:
http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_de ... gs_id=6456
Or when I take the time to visit the Rockler store in Columbus. They're also available from a myriad of other places - except I don't recall seeing them at Lowes or Home Depot.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
marks

Post by marks »

Will, if you are ever in Winston-Salem (noticing your location), the Woodworking Shop on Hanes Mall Blvd in the Pavilions shopping center sells all the sandpaper you will ever need. They are owned by Klingspore. Their website is www.sandingcatalog.com/

If you get to the store, you can buy sandpaper by the pound pretty cheap. They have different size rolls, and grits, but a pound or two will last a long long time. For the finer grits (800 +) you may have to get smaller packages, but their prices seem pretty reasonable. The micro mesh is really expensive, though, but it lasts a long time as Kurt said.
Will_Branch

Post by Will_Branch »

Thanks guys. I appreciate the links - that was just what I was looking for!

Will