Presentation for Sale

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
Cory

Presentation for Sale

Post by Cory »

How do you guys package the pipes you sell?

I know some people use pouches/bags and some use wooden boxes.

Do you make them yourselves or buy them? Currently hand stitching some drawstring pouches (PITA) and am looking for a better method for packaging pipes.
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
wdteipen

Re: Presentation for Sale

Post by wdteipen »

I make custom velvet pipe pouches. I hate doing it. Sewing velvet really stinks. But, they look really nice. A better way is to pay someone else to make them for you. There's a gal that makes leather pouches for a lot of the pros for somewhere aroung $10/pouch. I have her business card somewhere. I'll have to see if I can dig it up unless someone posts it first. I've seen her exhibit at many of the pipe shows.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I outsource the pipe sock making to my wife. She uses ultrasuede and 550 cord per my specifications.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Cory

Post by Cory »

KurtHuhn wrote:I outsource the pipe sock making to my wife. She uses ultrasuede and 550 cord per my specifications.
Funny you say that. My girlfriend just knitted me one. It actually came out really well and she said she would make them for me.
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I use bubble wrap. It's a pipe fer chrissakes.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
andrew

Post by andrew »

I like to use cheap packing peanuts from some third world country that shall remain nameless (it rhymes with "anada" and begins with a "C"). They add to the flavor :D
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

Andrew,
You forgot to tell them about the kitchen towel and twist ties. When I recieved my PITH from you I HAD to reuse your packaging and pass it along to the poor guy that "won" my pipe. Sorry if that was a trade secret.
andrew

Post by andrew »

fuchi_jeg wrote:Andrew,
You forgot to tell them about the kitchen towel and twist ties. When I recieved my PITH from you I HAD to reuse your packaging and pass it along to the poor guy that "won" my pipe. Sorry if that was a trade secret.
ALL MY SECRETS HAVE BEEN LAID BARE!!!

That "towel" as you call it was blessed by some guy who almost became a saint... almost. Apparently there was an incident involving seedy circus folk that took him out of the running. Anyway, none of that matters now. Fuchi spilled the beans.
andrew

Post by andrew »

You gotta admit, those twist ties were prrretty awesome. They were white. They matched the towel.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I'm not knocking anything. It just wasn't what I expected. That did t keep me from sending the same peanuts, towel, twist ties (which did match the towel. And peanuts ), and even the same box to the next guy. Saved me about $20 in packaging as well. I propose that we include this system as a must in the next PITH. Sure it will take 8 months to get to the last guy, but he will be ready to ship when his name comes up (next year). BTW did I tell you how much I enjoy the pipe ?
andrew

Post by andrew »

I know you're not knocking it... it was an amazing towel :D.
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

I must say that, as a consumer, if I were looking to commission a pipe by one of you fine artisans, my final decision would have little to do with the size of your sock. In fact, if the presentation were too fancy, I might try and negotiate a price without the fancy packaging.

That said, when it comes time to take delivery and having paid a very fair but nonetheless shocking amount of money, I would expect the protective covering provided to be consistent with the quality of care you exhibit in your pipework.

So leather, velour is great but pillowed satin is a little over the top. Canvas might work, burlap maybe, but bubble-wrap only in magenta with metal pipes. Consumers everywhere hope this has been helpful. No easter basket confetti . . . ever.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker
OregonCustom

Presentation for Sale

Post by OregonCustom »

I sourced out some satin bags...then I Dye Sublimate my signature and pipe number on the bag. I use to print them in color....which looked like poo, now I leave them white with black printing. Cost.....about $1.25 each with printing.
Not sure I want my hobby to turn into my job largely because I grow to hate my job....
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

OregonCustom wrote:I sourced out some satin bags...then I Dye Sublimate my signature and pipe number on the bag. I use to print them in color....which looked like poo, now I leave them white with black printing. Cost.....about $1.25 each with printing.
Pics?
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
OregonCustom

Presentation for Sale

Post by OregonCustom »

Don't think I've ever taken a photo of the bag.... I'll shoot one this weekend. I can't remember which bag I sent to Andrew for PITH this year, if I even did...
Not sure I want my hobby to turn into my job largely because I grow to hate my job....