fiebings oil/alcohol dye

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
andrew

fiebings oil/alcohol dye

Post by andrew »

alright, has anyone used this before (from their site):

"Professional Oil Dye
A new, improved version of our traditional leather dye. Professional Oil Dye is also an alcohol-based dye created specifically for natural strap leather, vegetable tanned leather and bag & case leather. Excellent coverage and superior colorfastness."

Sounds an awful lot like "oil dyes" that I try to avoid (based on past posts... Frank, if you're reading this and I've been using an inferior product for two years because of your post...), but alcohol added? Need some help here. Couldn't find a post about this alcohol/oil hybrid. I found stuff about oil dyes, but not this.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Re: fiebings oil/alcohol dye

Post by baweaverpipes »

The black is good for blasts and contrast staining.
Some of the other colors looks great on blasted pipes, they offer an earthier color.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Thanks Bruce.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

I was a bit reluctant to use the oil based Fiebings on pipes because I wasn't sure if the oil was "bad" for pipe smoking. I have used the dark brown and black oil dyes, and I will say that the contrast you get with them is much better than the regular Fiebings dyes.
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

So the colors are somewhat earthier; are they any more or less opaque, especially in the lighter colors? Are they any more glossy or matte?
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker