How thin is thin enough- Shellac

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
d.huber

Re: How thin is thin enough- Shellac

Post by d.huber »

longneckers wrote: Well here is #11 post

How did i say everyone was doing it wrong ?
my 10th post OMG I have been :takethat: again
All I was showing was a finished product and shellac was used .
The picture was a No bs here it is a finished product . I thought it looked good for being slopped on. well light up and chill "there" pipes and they were made to enjoy life.
longneckers
I have a feeling that Sas responded the way he did because you are not the first person to join the forum and post something like that very early on. Time and again, these guys have seen someone join the forum, extol their extensive knowledge, inform everyone else of how they were doing it wrong, making one or two crappy pipes with their "extensive knowledge," and eventually quitting while leaving nothing but bitterness in their wake.

If you're here to learn, have fun and learn! This place is a wealth of knowledge. While I wouldn't say that you started out on the foot of humility, I think if you place that foot forward now, you'll do just fine here.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

Maybe this is because I have had face to face (well, computer screen to computer screen video chat at least) talks with The Big Bad Sas and kind of read his posts in the tone he talks in, but I didn't sense anything about his post that made me think he was going to huff and puff and blow down Necker's house. He just said watch your tone and warned that finishing a pipe and finishing other types of wood products is a different animal altogether. And did those rather politically too.

I can think of plenty of other web forums where the welcome would have been noticeably more chilly.
Hello, I'm #1312.
That's a really big number.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

SchmidtN wrote:Maybe this is because I have had face to face (well, computer screen to computer screen video chat at least) talks with The Big Bad Sas and kind of read his posts in the tone he talks in, but I didn't sense anything about his post that made me think he was going to huff and puff and blow down Necker's house. He just said watch your tone and warned that finishing a pipe and finishing other types of wood products is a different animal altogether. And did those rather politically too.

I can think of plenty of other web forums where the welcome would have been noticeably more chilly.
Totally agree. I hope my last post was taken as intended: an attempt to clear up what appeared to me to be a miscommunication before anyone actually got offended.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

1. I am confused.
2. I spray Zinnser spray-shellac on a pipecleaner dipped in yellow, alcohol-based stain, and that is my "cut."
3. The fact that a pipe made from a wood you shouldn't smoke out of actually sold for $375 doesn't mean shit--not bug shit, not Rad's shit, not any kind of shit.
4. I love this place. It's good to be back amongst you douchebags--especially you new ones.
5. Yes, shiny pipes sell, but it's not because they're slathered in a 1/4" thick coat of shellac. It's because they're carefully and beautifully finished.
6. Rad is an asshole.
7. I still don't see the "benefit" of the orange Kool-aid method.
8. Ask someone else about #7.

TJ
Alden

Post by Alden »

ToddJohnson wrote:1. I am confused.
2. I spray Zinnser spray-shellac on a pipecleaner dipped in yellow, alcohol-based stain, and that is my "cut."
3. The fact that a pipe made from a wood you shouldn't smoke out of actually sold for $375 doesn't mean shit--not bug shit, not Rad's shit, not any kind of shit.
4. I love this place. It's good to be back amongst you douchebags--especially you new ones.
5. Yes, shiny pipes sell, but it's not because they're slathered in a 1/4" thick coat of shellac. It's because they're carefully and beautifully finished.
6. Rad is an asshole.
7. I still don't see the "benefit" of the orange Kool-aid method.
8. Ask someone else about #7.

TJ
I take umbrance to #4.
I disagree with #6.
I've appropriated #2
I'm confused by #7.
I second #1.

Hope This Helps.
-Ryan
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Zinsser spray shellac is a toxic mixture of evil chemicals.

Actually, now I think about it, that goes very well with your toxic mixture for chamber coatings. Possibly you can kill two birds here, Todd, and just mix up one especially noxious hard coating for both??

Hope this helps
Hairy Todd
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

I use an altered French Polish method using Dissolved shellac flakes and an oil. After the microscopic layer is dry, it is buffed lightly with rouge and wax. It is used to seal the color, protect the finish, and to create a smoother finish. You can achieve almost the same result with just buffing and applying wax but it is not as nice.

To the OP:

Experiment with a few different methods on scrap briar or pipes that you are practicing on and you will find what best works for you. I would not suggest to put a heavy layer of shellac on, but just a very fine layer. Do a search on French Polish and other finishing methods on wood. There are some high grade pipes on the market that have shellac, lacquer, or irushi lacquer for the finish and all of them are done well and hold up over time. There are also many high grade pipes with just a carnuba wax finish. Either way, the shellac, lacquer, & wax do the same thing - They seal the stain and create a smoother finish by filling in the microscopic pours and sanding marks in the wood, and they protect the finish.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

So uhh... Urushi is totally ridiculous and I dunno if I'd ever actually be able to learn it. We should do a group buy and get ourselves an old Urushi Sensei to teach us his ways?
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Sasquatch wrote:Zinsser spray shellac is a toxic mixture of evil chemicals.
This from the guy who recommended dissolving shellac flakes in methanol.

:thumbsup:
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Tyler wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:Zinsser spray shellac is a toxic mixture of evil chemicals.
This from the guy who recommended dissolving shellac flakes in methanol.

:thumbsup:
Yes, we all refine our processes, don't we?

TJ
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

ToddJohnson wrote:1. I am confused. Being confused is a way of life for many.
2. I spray Zinnser spray-shellac on a pipecleaner dipped in yellow, alcohol-based stain, and that is my "cut." Yep! Me too! I love bug shit finishes.
3. The fact that a pipe made from a wood you shouldn't smoke out of actually sold for $375 doesn't mean shit--not bug shit, not Rad's shit, not any kind of shit. Someone is full of shit!
4. I love this place. It's good to be back amongst you douchebags--especially you new ones. How dismissive!
5. Yes, shiny pipes sell, but it's not because they're slathered in a 1/4" thick coat of shellac. It's because they're carefully and beautifully finished. Correct.
6. Rad is an asshole. Rod is not! He's a hillwilliam.
7. I still don't see the "benefit" of the orange Kool-aid method. It's TANG, dumb ass!
8. Ask someone else about #7. Again, it's TANG! It has to be good, they took it to the moon.

TJ