Starting Dyes

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
AldenW

Starting Dyes

Post by AldenW »

Hey guys, I'm just making my first few briars and was looking to pick up a few Fiebings dyes. I'm strictly a hobbyist, and can't afford something like the $50 sampler that pme sells right now. Which colors should I pick up for the basic brown contrast stain? And what'd go well on top of black (that always seemed cool to me).

Thanks!
Ocelot55

Re: Starting Dyes

Post by Ocelot55 »

Black is a must. Brown is also very useful. I also tend to use an awful lot of British Tan. If I were limited to two and only two, they would be British Tan and Black.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

black, dark brown, mahogany, any of the tans, and I use orange a lot as well. Stick with the warmer colors, but forget about reds unless you're ready to mix them with browns to get attractive colors on briar (which is where mahogany comes in).
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Well... I'm no pro, but I like the contrast that can be had by using Chocolate and Yellow. It's pretty dramatic if you take your time. If you only buy 3, I'd say get black, yellow, and red. You can get some pretty good looking colors from those if you mix them. Now, if you get 4 I recommend black, chocolate, yellow, and red. Lots of fantastic variations to be had. Now, if you get 5... :P
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

The four colors I use the most are black, red, and yellow. Most typical colors can be mixed from those. I prefer powdered dyes so I have more control over the colors. Woodworkersupply.com sells J.E.Mosier's powdered dyes for somewhere around $10 a bottle and they go a very long way (I've yet to have to reorder in four years.) I recommend starting with the alcohol based dyes. You can add water based stains later to use as top stains that won't bleed into your aniline base stains. Lots of cool finishes can be done combining alcohol and water based stains.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Charl

Post by Charl »

Think you should go back to creche and ask for your money back, Wayne. 4 does not equal 3 in the real world :lol:
AldenW

Post by AldenW »

Thanks for all the replies guys! Brown, Black, Red, and Yellow sound like a fairly strong consensus! Super helpful as always.
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

Charl wrote:Think you should go back to creche and ask for your money back, Wayne. 4 does not equal 3 in the real world :lol:
Glad someone else pointed that out. Reminds me of Stargate when Jack O'Neill would say, "that's O'Neill, with TWO ll's" and hold up three fingers.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Charl wrote:Think you should go back to creche and ask for your money back, Wayne. 4 does not equal 3 in the real world :lol:
Yeah, I originally listed black, red, yellow, orange and brown but went back and edited them out..... :lol: :wink:

Wait....wut?
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

wdteipen wrote:
Yeah, I originally listed black, red, yellow, orange and brown but went back and edited them out..... :lol: :wink:

Wait....wut?
That's legit.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard