Help name my new blasts?

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
WCannoy

Help name my new blasts?

Post by WCannoy »

Firstly: I hope I picked the right topic to post this under, as this is my first post other than announcing myself in "News and Announcments"

Ok, so... When I'm ready to relaunch (sometime after the beginning of the year I hope), I will be offering my new blast finish on many of my pipes. I feel like it is a pretty unique finish, and a unique finish calls for a unique name. So I hope you folks can help me pick something...

My feedback so far has lead me to two choices:

Most people have said that it looks like suede, so maybe "Suede Blast"?
Then, more than a few have said that it looks like a coconut husk... so maybe "Husk Blast", or simply "Husk"?

Maybe you guys have another idea?

Here are a couple of pics of one of my test pipes: (Yes, I know it has a huge pit inside the chamber... that's why I'm now smoking it!)

Sasquatch

Re: Help name my new blasts?

Post by Sasquatch »

You could call it "Makes Sasquatch feel a little queezy with how sort of weirdly organic/marine it looks" but that doesn't have much of a ring to it.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

Sasquatch wrote:You could call it "Makes Sasquatch feel a little queezy with how sort of weirdly organic/marine it looks" but that doesn't have much of a ring to it.
I like it... but can I fit it on a 15mm stamp? :lol:
Nate

Post by Nate »

The [super-extreme] closeup looks kinda like coral or sea anemones on the ocean floor.
the rev

Post by the rev »

quarl,

I like it

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

Nate wrote:The [super-extreme] closeup looks kinda like coral or sea anemones on the ocean floor.
Sorry about that rediculously large photo. I didn't realize it would show up like that! It won't happen again!
Yes, it does look like some kind of sea floor sort of formation, but the super-extreme closeup is like looking at it through a loupe... In every day, walkin' around, normal guy vision, I really have to agree that it looks like suede. Personaly, I think it looks better natural, unstained... Maybe the next one will remain natural and I'll try to get some opinions on that.
Nate

Post by Nate »

WCannoy wrote:
Nate wrote:The [super-extreme] closeup looks kinda like coral or sea anemones on the ocean floor.
Sorry about that rediculously large photo. I didn't realize it would show up like that! It won't happen again!
Yes, it does look like some kind of sea floor sort of formation, but the super-extreme closeup is like looking at it through a loupe... In every day, walkin' around, normal guy vision, I really have to agree that it looks like suede. Personaly, I think it looks better natural, unstained... Maybe the next one will remain natural and I'll try to get some opinions on that.
Awe. Some. :D
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Honestly it strikes me as too much of a good thing - an entire pipe done in that surface would actually distract me, I think. A little like Wallenstein's patented "driftwoodsteamroommicrowavedpotato" finish, which he uses to good effect as a contratst to smooth sections on his pipes.

But if a guy were to, you know, use it as a contrast, to say, like, oh I dunno, a wax drip or something (just to pick something TOTALLY at random) it might work really really well. Just sayin. :lol:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

Sasquatch wrote:Honestly it strikes me as too much of a good thing - an entire pipe done in that surface would actually distract me, I think. A little like Wallenstein's patented "driftwoodsteamroommicrowavedpotato" finish, which he uses to good effect as a contratst to smooth sections on his pipes.

But if a guy were to, you know, use it as a contrast, to say, like, oh I dunno, a wax drip or something (just to pick something TOTALLY at random) it might work really really well. Just sayin. :lol:
You're totaly right. A whole pipe finished like this would be kinda creepy. It definately needs to be tastefully balanced. Here's a pic of the whole pipe (hopefully I got it sized properly this time). You can see that the shank has been left smooth, which balances the finish well, in my opinion... Also, you can see that the blast, while quite dramatic very close up, is much more pleasing than you might think!

the rev

Post by the rev »

Wow really does look like suede. How does it feel in your hand?

Rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

I would call it, "Wookiee Scrotum Blast." For the obvious reasons. :lol:
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Hey Walt,
I heard you were coming back - I'll look forward to meeting you. Are you planning on heading to Chicago this time around?

Of the three options you mentioned, I like "Husk" best.
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

the rev wrote:Wow really does look like suede. How does it feel in your hand?

Rev
Oh man, it feels really nice! It feels like suede too, maybe a little harder. It's like holding a fine pumice stone... That's as close as I can get. It's really hard to describe.
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

Gershom wrote:I would call it, "Wookiee Scrotum Blast." For the obvious reasons. :lol:
Noted... and rejected. For the obvious reasons! :D
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

e Markle wrote:Hey Walt,
I heard you were coming back - I'll look forward to meeting you. Are you planning on heading to Chicago this time around?
I would love to go to Chicago! So many good memories... I don't know if it will happen so soon for me, but if I can figure out a way, I will. Did I mention "so many good memories"? So many...
Growley

Post by Growley »

I was just about to say Coral as well.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Growley wrote:
I was just about to say Coral as well.
Copycat. Way to jump on the awesome kid's bandwagon....geez

:twisted:
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

I still can't look at it without thinking that you would be cupping one of Sas's testicles every time you smoked it... not that it would be a bad thing, because I actually really like the rustication. (Of the pipe, not Sas's mannish parts, because he has yet to post any pictures.)

I have it!!!

"Sas's Scrotum Blast" or "SSB" for short.

Thoughts?

:lol:

:runover: I just put this one in here because I like it.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Cretaceous Blast