Savinelli Capri Rustication

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
RadDavis

Savinelli Capri Rustication

Post by RadDavis »

Check out this link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 15688&rd=1

Does anyone know how this type of rustication is done?

Rad
jeff

Post by jeff »

Rad,

This appears to be the result of a tool like Tyler's. However, I think that Random is right in that it is the result of multiple levels of rustication. Given the character of the bowl's finish, I think that the process was begun by using a gouge or chisel and taking some deeper chunks out of it. Then Tyler's tool is used pretty heavily on the bowl and lighter on the shank. Finally, the whole thing is attacked with a wire wheel. It looks, by the pattern on the shank, as if the worker was fairly unconcerned with leaving directional marks. However, in this case I think that it worked out quite well and gave the shank a "leathery" finish. Then again, maybe it is leather! Maybe Neil can shed some light on this. Neil?

JG
sagiter

Post by sagiter »

It's not leather and that's the way all Capri Roots look. I have some on my site as well.

Neil
Neil Flancbaum
www.smokinholsters.com
Home of the Ultimate Pipe Bag
marks

Post by marks »

It appears from the shank that a wood working chisel was used to "walk" up the shank. I tried this technique on the pipe I made for PT with similar effect. I did this near the top and bottom of the bowl and at the end of the shank for a transition to the really rusticated parts. You can see it best in the top photo of Paul's pipe on my web page. Look at the base of the pipe. I'm actually thinking of doing an entire pipe like this at some point as I like the look.

Regarding the bowl, my guess was that a gouge was used to create little moats around pieces of untouched briar. The untouched briar was then attacked with a nail tool, then brushed, then perhaps sanded to round off the points. (Pretty much what Random et al said). When I did the rustication on Paul's pipe, if I had left larger pieces of untouched briar after chiseling out gouges (I use the corner of a woodworking chisel, not a gouge), it would look more like the Savinelli, I think. But there are elements of the Savinelli in Paul's pipe.

These are only guesses on my part after having experimented with these types of tools and techniques, but with practice, I think this look could be obtained from them, or put you on the right track. The rustication on the Savinelli does look good.

If you experiment with this Rad, please post your results. I, for one, would like to see them.
jeff

Post by jeff »

sagiter wrote:It's not leather and that's the way all Capri Roots look. I have some on my site as well.

Neil
ARe you sure? It looks pretty leathery.

:lol:

Jeff
MitchG

Post by MitchG »

For $40 bucks or so (given the $20.50 current bid) y'all could take a closer lookand figure it out, perhaps. :D