Bowl coating as a filler

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
scotties22

Bowl coating as a filler

Post by scotties22 »

So I have a poker I am working on that has a rather large flaw in the shank. There is no way to cut it out and I am not going to rusticate the pipe to hide it....I personally like the flaws the wood presents. I have checked and the crack goes almost all the way through the shank into the airway. Just for a bit of stability, and so there is no problem later, can I fill the crack with the waterglass/carbon mixture I use as a bowl coating? I don't see the problem in doing so, but thought I would ask people who know more than I do.

Thoughts?
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
DMI

Re: Bowl coating as a filler

Post by DMI »

The bowl coating is water soluble so no good as a filler. The two main options I use are a mix of slow setting CA and gold dust or a good quality two part wood filler.

David.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Scottie, if this pipe is for you, fill the crack with black epoxy. If it's for someone else, throw it out and start again. Or do a bamboo shank or some damn thing.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

This is what I'm dealing with. This is a late Christmas present and I really like the pipe. I would hate to throw it out and don't want to use bamboo (I don't really like the way it looks). It's not the size of the flaw on the outside that I am worried about , but how close it is to going throw to the airway. I stuck a toothpick in it and it seems to be quite deep. That is why I was asking about fillers. Anyhoo, here are some pics.

Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

High viscosity superglue or epoxy will do the trick.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Or shorten the shank.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

Or fill it with briar dust and add a drop of thin ca glue, let dry, sand smooth, repeat if necessary. It will show as a fill, but it'll work.