Staining "Marks" - Help

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
brurobas

Staining "Marks" - Help

Post by brurobas »

Good afternoon,

In the last pipe i made i had some problems with staining. In some parts of the stummel the stain looks like it has accumulated or hasn't penetrated the wood properly. It is mainly visible in the top of the bowl walls and in the right side of the junction between the shank and the stummel.

I sanded it to 320 and applied Chocolate Stain with a small brush ( not a pipe cleaner ). I the sanded to 500, applied Light Brown and proceeded to buffing and polishing. I also used a heat gun to warm the stummel after i applied the Chocolate stain.

What could i be doing wrong?

- Am i using a pipe brush, which is not adequate?
- Am i putting too much stain and not spreading it evenly?

I t seems to me that after applying the stain it concentrates in some areas. Am i applying to much stain?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Bruno
WCannoy

Re: Staining "Marks" - Help

Post by WCannoy »

Looks to me like more of a turning problem than a staining problem. The stain will penetrate deeply in spots where there is chatter or tear-out during turning. In the third photo, directly front and center, those definately look like tear-out marks to me.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

WCannoy wrote:Looks to me like more of a turning problem than a staining problem. The stain will penetrate deeply in spots where there is chatter or tear-out during turning. In the third photo, directly front and center, those definately look like tear-out marks to me.
I agree.

Be sure to sand the piece while you still have it on the lathe. Once you have the profile you like, hit it with some 120 to get all of those marks out. Just so you're aware, sometimes briar will simply soak stain differently in different places. When that happens, you just do what you can to even it out.
the rev

Post by the rev »

it is my opinion, which isn't worth much, that you should sand to 400 before putting your final undercoat. Some people will do two or three undercoats one with each graduation. But after 400 you should do atleast one undercoat. If you have any chatter, scratches or anything the stain is going to stick in there. That is what it looks like to me as well. But I could be wrong, and usually am... unlike rad

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

WCannoy wrote:Looks to me like more of a turning problem than a staining problem. The stain will penetrate deeply in spots where there is chatter or tear-out during turning. In the third photo, directly front and center, those definately look like tear-out marks to me.

This.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

e Markle wrote:Just so you're aware, sometimes briar will simply soak stain differently in different places. When that happens, you just do what you can to even it out.
I would have to guess that this is correct here.
Some briar will soak a lot more around the outer part of the burl, sometimes the outer 1/2".
Without seeing the pipe in person or knowing where within the block it was taken from, that would be my guess.