Laser Engraving Shellac/Wax Finish

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
buistd

Laser Engraving Shellac/Wax Finish

Post by buistd »

Anything to be careful of? I'm concerned that the laser may crack the shellac a wee bit.
Jos

Re: Laser Engraving Shellac/Wax Finish

Post by Jos »

Always finish the pipe completely before laser engraving - it's a true PIA to poke carnuba and stuff out of the engraving ... and will necessarily result in scratches.

Jens
buistd

Post by buistd »

Jos wrote:Always finish the pipe completely before laser engraving - it's a true PIA to poke carnuba and stuff out of the engraving ... and will necessarily result in scratches.

Jens
Thanks - My only concern was that the laser may do funny things to the shellac. The pipe is finished but for the stamp/engraving.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

There shouldn't be a HUGE amount of shellac on there, and shellac melts around 70 degrees, so the laser will just eat it very locally is my guess.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

You can laser engrave it after the finish - that's fine. And, if you did do a touch of wax afterwards, a couple seconds with a heat gun will take care of any visible wax deposits inside the engraving.
buistd

Post by buistd »

Thank you all. Once again the willingness of members on here to divulge pearls of wisdom amazes me.