Green Stain?

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
WCannoy

Green Stain?

Post by WCannoy »

I've been seeing alot of it lately here in the gallery. I know St. Patty's day is a month away... is that it? Why is everyone so hung up on green stain recently? Am I just oblivious to some new trend?

I gotta be honest and frank here, every pipe I've seen with green stain on it has been butt ugly, with the exception of the work of one maker. I'm thinking, unless your last name starts with a "T" and ends with "albert", maybe the pipemaking community needs to ditch the green stain.

Of course, this is all just my opinion... but, is it just me?

:banghead:
Ocelot55

Re: Green Stain?

Post by Ocelot55 »

I am personally not a fan of green stain and yet I've done three in the past 6 months. All commissions. I think since Peterson has cornered the "green pipe market" folks might be looking for green pipes that aren't Petersons. Just speculation. Maybe they just like green.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I saw one green pipe by Mark Tinsky that I really liked - it had a beautiful emerald glow and it seemed to compliment an organic plateau-topped dublin shape he cut. But I haven't had much success with green and in general it doesn't do much for me.

It's extremely difficult to get a nice green because you are starting on top of a brownish wood often enough, and that adds a lot of orange and darkens the tint drastically. It's ugly, in short.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

I'm with you guys. Green, blue, and purple are colors I've seen a lot of recently and don't care for at all. I have to agree that using those colors on a pipe, even if it's nicely shaped, usually ruins it for me.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

I recently saw an attempt at an egg shape that looked spectacular with the green stain... It was here on the pipe forum... I can't recall the maker... Any of you guys know who it was?

:lol:
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

Gershom wrote:I recently saw an attempt at an egg shape that looked spectacular with the green stain... It was here on the pipe forum... I can't recall the maker... Any of you guys know who it was?

I thought I knew who you were talking about, but I read your post again and noticed the phrase "looked spectacular"... So, no, I have no idea! :fencing:
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

Nice. :)